February 23, 2009 | by  | in Music |

Let’s Get Nasty

DJ Freq Nasty,
Sandwiches,
Tuesday March 5th

DJ Freq Nasty’s music is everything you loved about ’90s techno and more. For those with a love of nostalgic dance music that has a slight new-age/trance twist to it: DJ Freq Nasty is the gig you must go to during VUWSA Orientation 2009.

DJ Freq Nasty is an ex-pat kiwi who has been touring the UK and USA since 1991, developing a solid fan-base worldwide. He has played at a huge range of internationally acclaimed festivals such as Burning Man in the Nevada desert and has finally decided to return to his homeland Aotearoa, land of the long white cloud, to dazzle us all with his slick beats and phat sound at Wellington’s famous Sandwiches. He has been identified as being one of the pioneers of a particular style of dance/dub/techno/hip-hop that has been coined ‘breakbeat’, a genre that has taken the dance world by storm.

DJ Freq Nasty has a solid bassline as the foundation of his music, with layers of other tracks and samples weaving in and out, building energy that climaxes not once, not twice, but time and time again. The tempo is high. Freq Nasty’s music contains an intense energy which the body cannot resist reacting to, and if you love convulsing in the club then this is an act not to be missed.

Having a strong interaction with the audience is after all what makes seeing Freq Nasty live worth it. However if you tried to accentuate all these rhythms at once it might make you look slightly odd.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface