February 23, 2009 | by  | in News |

Orientation 2009 – All You Need to Know

Welcome to VUWSA Orientation Festival 2009. Summer’s still here so celebrate while you can. VUWSA and The VBC (88.3FM) bring your annual installment of great bands, funny comedians, clubs days and much much more in the Orientation Festival. Aotearoa’s longest and biggest national music and cultural festival.

Check out the guide brought to you by the lovely people at Salient and VUWSA. Make sure you attend at least one class, two concerts and Ska-B-Q before relaxing at New Zealand’s only Hangover Hangi. Also check www.vuwsa.org.nz/activities and Salient for more.

Ticketing

All tickets are available from the VUWSA office, Vic Books Pipitea (Bunny Street) and online at www.dazzletickets.co.nz. For student price you must provide a valid tertiary ID. Remember you will need 18+ ID at the show, so bring it along and save the embarrassment of explaining your advancing age. NOTE: the Blackcaps vs. India tickets are available from Ticketek (save yourself $10 by using your VUW ID).

Win Tickets!

Win an orientation super pass (a ticket to Katchafire, Ska-B-Q, the Comedy Night, DJ Freq Nasty and Arte Nomade—Friday 13th in 3D). Simply answer the following stoopidly easy question: WHAT IS NZ’S LONGEST RUNNING CULTURAL AND MUSICAL NATIONAL FESTIVAL? Email answers to activities@vuwsa.org.nz. Two to be won.

Your Safety

Wellington is a big beautiful city, but it’s best to explore in numbers. Keep a good eye on your mates and make sure they know where you are. If you’re in a hall of residence remember the Red Bull Courtesy shuttle will be running all month taking people back to their halls. Ask your RA or manager about this awesome service.

Activities Monkey Highlights

VUWSA, Ngai Tauira and Radio Active: Hangover Hangi.Te Herenga Waka Marae (46 Kelburn Parade noon – 4pm). Relax after the week behind you and enjoy the truly Welly tunes of The Thomas Oliver Band, Tony Barnao and Jhan. $5 will also get you a great hangi feed and the bands will be for free. Bring a cushion or blanket, or just sit on the lawn in the sun. Be at Te Herenga Waka Marae (46 Kelburn Parade) on Sunday the 4th March from noon onwards, and bring an appetite.

Friday 13th in 3Dwith Arte Normade

Multi Zoned Music and 3D AV party. Union Hall 7pm. Presales: Students $10 Non Students $15. Doorsales Student $10 and Non Student $20. This is the last show for Orientation 2009, so make sure you’re there at the end.

1. Steph says:

Once again, Orientation is complete and utter bullshit. I have a wonderful friend who will not be 18 for Orientation and now she’s going to miss out on the festivites (which are rather lame at that, but nevertheless). Why are all the main events being held in slut infested shitholes? First Years are people too, so maybe next time you can actually plan a decent line up and hold it at a REAL venue – and not blow the budget this year.

2. Wee Hamish says:

Type here…

3. She should transfer to Otago. Having faeces thrown at you is key to a good orientation.

1