February 23, 2009 | by  | in Music |

Ping Pong Country & Volcana

Mighty Mighty,

Thursday March 12th

Ping Pong Country

TV DiSKO and MC Conrad bring their show back for 2009. Swing and swagger to hillbilly boogie, western swing and the lot. Oh, and all while you’re playing a good ol’ fashioned German-style ping pong. Hurrah!

Volcana

Volcana is a rocka-psychobilly/garage two piece born in Wellington about three and a half years ago. Sonia plays the drums and Eugene plays guitar and sings. They are currently working on an album and an EP which they hope to release later this year. Their influences include Gun Club, The Cramps and ‘The Phantom’ Jerry Lott. You’d be silly to miss this, really. Joining them are Terror of the Deep, who have gained a bassist and gone from two-man genius to three-super-human wall-of-awesome. While they’re not exactly garage, folk or singer/songwritery, they kind of take the best bits of all three, add a large dollop of intellect, and make you want to dance a bit, cry a bit, then give them a hug and say you know how they feel and it’s awesome. And with an entire new set in just under a month they never get boring. Nice.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties