February 23, 2009 | by  | in Opinion |

Student Health Service

Nau mai, haere mai, welcome to both new and returning students from everyone at the Student Health Service.

Thank you to Jackson and the team at the Salient for the opportunity to write about our service in the Orientation Edition.

The Student Health Service (SHS) is here for you—so if you have any concerns regarding your health, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our clinics are staffed by highly skilled doctors and nurses, who enjoy working with the wide variety of students at Victoria. Our central clinic is located on the Kelburn campus with another fully staffed clinic based at Pipitea campus operating 5 days per week. We offer all the services you would expect from a regular medical centre, while also having an intimate knowledge of the culture of VUW and the reality of student life. Our clinical staff are professionally dedicated and have postgraduate qualifications in a variety of areas including mental health, travel health, dermatology, diabetes, asthma care, sexual health, and contraception.

The SHS is available to all students who have paid the compulsory Student Services Levy. The SHS belongs to Capital Primary Healthcare Organisation (PHO). To be enrolled as a patient (NZ residents only) all you have to do is to fill out some paperwork, which takes about one minute. You will be asked if you want us to be your main health care provider while you’re at VUW. There are many reasons why it would be helpful to choose us as your main health care centre; we are convenient, we provide lots of different services, and we specialise in the care of university students. If you are really happy with your current medical centre and you decide to stay enrolled with them you can still be seen at the SHS as a casual patient.

Healthcare available at the SHS includes:

Preventative Care: such as advice regarding sexual and reproductive health, cholesterol testing, cervical screening, mole checks, health education, and travel health including the administration of the most commonly required vaccinations.

Illness and Injury Care: assessment, diagnosis, offering treatment, advice, and when necessary referral to medical specialists for injuries, infections and acute illness. We also see students for on going health conditions for example diabetes, asthma, depression and anxiety.

Other Services: alcohol and drug issues, health checks, contraception including the emergency contraceptive pill, hearing tests, flu vaccines, liquid nitrogen, minor surgery, nutritional advice, pregnancy tests, immigration medicals, diving medicals, and more.

Specialist appointments: a dermatologist (skin specialist), endocrinologist, and psychiatrist are available at our main clinic on the Kelburn Campus via referral from one of our doctors.

We are a Very Low Cost Access practice. Therefore, if you’re enrolled with the PHO at SHS there will be no charge for a standard nurse or doctor appointment. Casual and International students will be charged between $15 and $55 per visit depending on whether or not they have a Community Services Card (direct billing for international students insured with Student Safe is available).

So enrolling at the Student Health Service sounds like a good idea to you?

To find out more please visit our website at: www.vuw.ac.nz/st_services/health or better still come and visit us in person.

Kelburn

4 Wai-te-ata Road, below the Library between Victoria Books and the Recreation Centre 463 5308

Pipitea

Level 2, Railway Station, West Wing 463 7474

To make an appointment please phone as above, or drop in to speak with one of our receptionists. For students on the Te Aro Campus please call our Pipitea Clinic. The receptionists may ask what type of appointment you need, this really helps us make sure you see the correct nurse or doctor.

If you require a routine appointment, for example for a repeat prescription or to discuss a non-urgent condition, please contact us three or four days before you wish to be seen. If you are unwell and need to be seen on the day, please contact us as early possible. Students who require to be seen on the day will be always be first assessed and advised by one of our experienced nurses, and if necessary referred to a doctor.

Wishing you all the best for your studies, and remember if you want to see someone about any health issue please contact the Student Health Service.

1