February 23, 2009 | by  | in Music |

The VBC’s 2nd Birthday

The VBC 88.3FM is your student and community radio station, broadcasting out of VUW’s Kelburn Campus to the central city and streaming on www.vbc.org.nz

It’s been one hell of a ride since they launched the station two years ago, and they’d like you to come help celebrate their 2nd Birthday on Friday March the 6th at the Front Room, Hania St, Mt. Vic (just off Kent Tce).

The Dead C (NZ living legends), So So Modern (Wellington’s favourite chaps) and Rory Storm and The Invaders (Dunedin-made, Wellington-found noise goodness), and it’s just $15 for everyone presale or $20 on the door! Woo hoo!

Founded in 1987, this improvisational New Zealand noise trio consists of Michael Morley, Bruce Russell and Robbie Yeats. Thurston Moore once told The Wire – the world’s biggest-circulation ‘difficult music’ magazine – that the most interesting bands in the world were ‘The Dead C and all the bands that follow them’. If this means nothing to you, you’re not that uncool, just a little out of The Dead C loop, shall we say.

That loop is a determinedly international, as well as underground, affair. The NZ trio’s twenty-year career has thrown up more than twenty albums, most recently Secret Earth (2008) on NY-based BaDaBing Records. As part of the relentless schedule of promotional appearances following this release, The Dead C toured the USA in October 2008, playing with the cream of US underground talent, including Six Organs of Admittance, Alan Bishop and Pink Reason. They are equally at home in an under-populated arts space in small-town New Zealand.

Playing with them are So So Modern. In a storm of information So So Modern yield and grasp the weight of authenticity, solidifying sound bytes into knowledge that can simultaneously exist as wisdom. Its magnetism assembles a perfect geometric structure designed to crush irony and spontaneously fulfil meaninglessness. Upon this a transference of energy uplifts and reunites the fragment parts back into a balanced, perfect system. This system, the singularity upon which we rest, resonates a perfect harmony that vibrates the emotional sphere of the inner realms. Furthermore, this hypnotic binaural beat will heal all of tranquillity and defy all laws of the universe infinity force power wing eternal light rider.

1