Darfur! Hah! Yeah!

In a continuation of a policy of paranoia, Sudanese President Omar Hassan Bashir has reportedly expelled all aid workers from the troubled Dafur region.

The decision was believed to have been made out of fear that the contingents of support workers in the region were assisting officials in The Hague, who had recently issued a warrant for the Sudanese leader’s arrest.

Bashir is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) on charges of triggering genocide and for crimes against humanity in Darfur.

Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the chief prosecutor of the ICC said the ejection of the non-governmental organisations gave credence to the ICC’s decision to pursue him on war crimes charges. “This idea to expel the humanitarians is confirming the court decision,” Moreno-Ocampo said. “Expelling them is confirming the crimes.”

Sudan’s envoy to the United Nations, Mohamad Yousif Ibrahim Abdelmannan, told UN officials that Bashir’s decision “is a legitimate sovereign decision” which would “never be reversed.”

UN officials have estimated that as many as 300,000 people have been killed in the six years of conflict that has besieged the African nation. Officials in Sudan’s capital Khartoum have said only 10,000 people have died “in a just war of freedom.”

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1