Eye on Exec – 12th VUWSA meeting, 18 March

In keeping with the punchy style with which President Jasmine Freemantle ran this week’s festivities, this week’s Eye on Exec is delivered in punchy bullet point form. Kia ora, VUWSA, Kia ora.

Observation #1: Jasmine Freemantle is a paradigm of blazing efficiency. She slammed through the initial formalities before I could lift my pen.

Observation #2: The rest of the VUWSA Executive members are also pretty sharp. Points were made quickly, and five out of twelve were clad in regulation VUWSA gear.

Business #1: Work reports were submitted. Jasmine is currently working 100 plus hour weeks, and is aiming to cut this down to a leisurely 70 hours over the next month.

Business #2: Joel Cosgrove has still not repaid the money he owes to the exec. Court action will be expensive and hopefully unnecessary.

Business #3: Work requests made by VUWSA exec members to VUWSA staff need to go through Jasmine, as do offers of assistance made by VUWSA staff to VUWSA exec members.

Business #4: The vice-president quarterly reports were deferred again, sparking a brief and respectful discussion about relative workloads.

Business #5: NZUSA (New Zealand Union of Student Associations) Women’s Rights Officer results are in, and candidates Tui Head and Rachel Wright were both defeated by no confidence votes. A temporary administration position will be advertised via Student Job Search, and a sub-committee appointed to investigate results.

Business #6: Six different student rep groups have put forward motions for the next Special General Meeting, and Jasmine is investigating the university’s decision to ban the Hare Krishna caravan from the quad.

With official business wrapped, the exec moved into a special training session facilitated by NZUSA leaders Jordan King and Sophia Blair.

Nina Fowler (BA), former Salient feature writer, is excited about Salient '10.

1. Prabhupada says:

That is dumb banning the Hare Krishna’s from the quad, they make the best food. It is not like anyone was complaining and the only other food option is the Quad Kiosk which is only good for keeping you regular…

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

2. Freya Eng says:

We think so too. VUWSA is working with Krishna Food to end the University’s silly ban on their presence in the Quad.

3. Prabhupada says:

His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada says, “Thank you, because a bowl of kichari and a portion of yogurt is a a poor man’s feast fit for a king…”

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

1