Fashion – Jeff Olson

The left side of my bedroom is a spectacle of colour. It is witness to the profuse amounts of time I have spent rifling through fashion magazines, butchering them of their beautiful pages to adorn my walls (regrettably destroying the reading experience for anyone who picks up the mag after I’ve finished with it). As my room becomes increasingly saturated in a glossy film of fashion editorial shots, my appreciation for the art of photography grows. New York photographer Jeff Olson creates images that epitomise the beauty of fashion photography and make my bedroom walls an aesthetic delight. His talents behind the camera, coupled with his strong creative vision, has made him renowned in his field, but it is his passion, amicability, and relentless energy which cause everyone who works with him to become a friend and ardent fan of his art.

Styling, location, beautiful faces and the right team on a shoot are elements imperative to a beautiful photo, but the distinguishing quality of a great fashion image—the reason we pause a moment on the page of Jeff Olson’s photography—boils right down to an intuitive sense when Olson sees the picture. “For me it’s the feeling… it’s never a defined answer, it’s all a feeling.” That same feeling which seems to permeate his images is probably accountable for my awe-inspired response as I hastily cut out his work and fasten it to my wall. It is certainly the reason that magazine editors all over the world continue to drool over his work and include it in their glossy pages.

As a photographer, Olson continues to refine and perfect his work, which he sees as an ongoing project for as long as he can click a camera. His continuing success (which he describes as one part struggle and nine parts luck) will no doubt see him likened to those in the fashion industry he aspires to—Ralph Lauren for his business savvy, Rick Owens for his creations and Alexander McQueen for his performances. Although Olson cannot imagine himself in any other line of work, expect more than just fashion photography from this man. “I am involved in many other businesses and will be starting a clothing line towards the end of the year. I also want to be moving into film. My goal is to have my first project in production in six years,” he explains. “And I have so many little dreams waiting to be shot—Patty Wilson for Italian Vogue… my dream!”

A steady flow of superb work from Jeff Olson is guaranteed, which will subsequently lead to the continual destruction of magazines on my part, but also the ongoing beautification of my bedroom walls. I leave you with the words of Jeff Olson; words which I think capture the essence of his photography and reveal the charm of his character. “I am proud of everything I shoot. Some more than others, but lately everything I am shooting is surprising me. My maturity as an artist and as a human is inspiring me and turning out one perfect photograph after another.”

1. Your Name says:

Check out his work on http://www.olsonfoto.com