Food, you and a university gagging for $12 million

Last year VUWSA gave out nearly 700 food parcels to students running low on money and supplies, more than double the amount than the previous year. The growing economic shit heap will see students greatly affected, as low skill and part time jobs become harder to find and living costs continue to rise. But never fear! If you’re short of cash and the cupboards are empty, come see us between 12 and 2 PM at VUWSA and get yourself a food parcel. You can also pick up some free bread on Wednesday and Fridays from 9 AM. Also if you have any other issues and want help sorting them out come see either me or the Welfare Advocate, we both have you back so don’t hesitate to come have a chat.

On a completely different note, do you want to spend $12 million to help make Victoria a decent place? Heck yes you do! Then make sure you come along to VUWSA’s Initial General Meeting (IGM) this Wednesday at 1 PM in Mount Street Bar and vote for the VUWSA Trust supporting the Campus Hub Project. On top of this the University is gagging for our money, which has seen students having an unprecedented amount of influence and input into the project.

This means that within a year we will have new, dedicated clubs and rep group space in the Student Union Building, casual meeting rooms (with kitchens!) and social areas. A real student bar which is actually open when it says it is and sells beer from taps. Beer! On tap! On top of that the Memorial Theatre will be turned into a multipurpose lecture theatre. It’s our Destiny’s Child, our Fiji Baby – You just have to come along to vote for it.

Oh my god! It just gets better! With the Union Hall being upgraded and its capacity increasing to over 1000 we’ll all finally be able to breath a collective sigh of relief at not seeing Katchafire at *every* Orientation. I don’t know about you but my eyes bleed every time I see them on the bill! Unlike previous years we will never again miss bands such as Arcade Fire and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It’ll also be the only venue its size in Wellington meaning more international acts will play during the year. I could go on for ages but I know you’ve probably heard enough. Check out VUWSA’s website for more information.

Without the student body’s support most of the above cannot happen, at least not in our university lifetime. So please, just come to Mount Street Bar this Wednesday at 1 PM, raise your hand to vote in support of the VUWSA Trust’s contribution to the Campus Hub Project and we can collectively frolic through the meadows of student democracy.

Email wvp@vuwsa.org.nz if you have any questions.

Seamus Brady, Vice-President (Welfare)

1. Sando says:

Wait… we are poor and can’t afford food, but you want me to give 12 million dollars to the University for a hip new space?

Well, I guess if I don’t eat I’ll be able to fit into those skinny jeans that the hipsters love, right?

2. Sando says:

man, I totally want the new hub though. It seems awesome.

1