March 23, 2009 | by  |

Fresh Meat: Raw Comedy Quest 2009

We all know you can’t be well-done before you become medium-rare, but before you become medium-rare? Well, then of course, you have to be Raw.

Raw is a nationwide comedy search for the newest face of New Zealand comedy. It runs annually, with the final held as a New Zealand International Comedy Festival Show at the Classic Comedy Bar in Auckland. It’s a bona fide “New Zealand’s Next Top Model” of the comedy world, with about the same level of good looks. The winner of Raw walks away with prize money and the venerable title of Raw Comedy Quest Winner 2009.

But what is in a name (or title)? I asked four past Raw winners, Emma Olsen, Pinchey Murray, Jerome Chandrahasen and Cori Gonzalez-Macuer to tell me in a few words (I actually initially said just three words. Why does no one listen to my requests?) what a Raw win meant for them. Answers included “exposure to a wider audience”, “long time ago”, “vegetarian burger for dinner”, “cash in hand” and “pussy and socks” (referring to the purchase of a new cat [and socks] with the winnings).

The Raw title offers many opportunities to further advance in the industry—it’s all about getting your name out there. Past winners have gone on to feature in sell-out Comedy Festival Shows, win additional awards such as the Billy T James Award and feature on C4 Television. Judges usually include two comedians and an executive from TVNZ, but may differ each year.

The Wellington heats for Raw 2009 are held on April the 3rd, 10th and 18th at the Fringe Bar, 8pm. If you see yourself as the next up-and-comer, get together seven minutes of your best material and email: fringebar.nz@gmail.com with your name, contact number and preferred night of the three dates.

Keep an eye out for Emma, Pinchey, Noor and Cori at regular comedy nights and the fast approaching Comedy Festival and remember to visit the Fringe Bar on the above dates to support the fresh meat.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 97 views
  2. The Übermensch 28 views
  3. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 24 views
  4. Web designer needed 17 views
  5. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 16 views
  6. The Bresolin Brothers 14 views
  7. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 14 views
  8. The Sedulous Recorder 14 views
  9. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 14 views
  10. Twitterviews 11 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more