Government Pleases Stephen Fry

A nationwide protest has lead to Section 92A being amended.

The controversial amendment was due to come into force on March 27, but Cabinet has decided that the law needs to be changed to address areas of concern.

Commerce Minister Simon Power announced the amendment, saying that “Allowing section 92A to come into force in its current format would not be appropriate given the level of uncertainty around its operation. These discussions have exposed some aspects of section 92A which require further consideration.”

Section 92A of the Copyright Act 1994 requires Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to have a policy to terminate the internet account of repeat copyright infringers in appropriate circumstances. Its announcement lead to 200 people marching on Parliament in protest, and started an internet blackout campaign which enlisted the support of British comedian Stephen Fry.

The decision to amend the law has met with widespread support. “National’s redrafting of section 92A will hopefully ensure there is a process to make it work,” said Clare Curran, Labour’s spokesperson on Communications and IT.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn