March 16, 2009 | by  | in Visual Arts |

Monet and the Impressionists

One of the most exclusive and richest collections of Impressionist paintings to come to New Zealand, from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Monet and the Impressionists is truly an exhibition not to be missed.

Impressionism broke the conventions of French academic art of the previous centuries. It moved from the confinement of the artist’s studio to painting ‘en plein air’ (in the open air), and captured light in dappled movements of the brush, which created varied, beautiful and colourful effects. You do not have to be lover of art to know that Claude Monet and Impressionism changed the art world. Monet is one of the most prolific artists of the Impressionists, whose work ‘Impression, Sunrise’ (which was exhibited in the Salon of 1872), coining the term of the movement. Although this work is not featured in the exhibition, some of his most well-known and creative works, alongside his contemporaries, are showcased in a light, creative and inspiring collection of paintings.

The exhibition allows those unfamiliar with art to learn not only about Monet, but also artists such as Degas, Renoir, Sisley and Cézanne who followed in the rise of impressionism as a new and creative group of artists.

The expressiveness and intensity of the varied brush strokes and immediacy in landscapes and captured moments encompass the skill and commitment of the artists in their endeavour to create a new style of art.

The exhibition is perfect for those who have never been to an art exhibition before, as Te Papa has enriched the viewing experience with information easily readable. The paintings are divided into various sections to make it easier to understand the concepts and intensions of the artists. It also allows those avid in the art historical realm to indulge in Monet’s better known works, such as paintings from his ‘Haystacks’, ‘Rouen Cathedral’ and ‘Water Lillies’ series.

monet

Even if you have little interest in viewing these works, I still encourage you to go along for the learning experience. Te Papa truly captures Monet’s interests, his life and achievements, and it is truly a breathtaking and inspirational exhibition.

14 February–17 MayVisa Platinum Gallery, Level 4,
Te Papa Tongarewa

For more information see www.tepapa.govt.nz/monet

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel