News in Brief

Cagey Cosgrove continues caper

Former Victoria University Students’ Association (VUWSA) President Joel Cosgrove has yet to repay his $1200 debt to the association for costs relating to his infamous trip to Australia last year.

The former president has been “dodging” contact with VUWSA’s legal representation, and still insists upon not needing to repay the duty due to VUWSA impinging on his worker’s rights. The situation is under legal consideration.

Sleepy time in a sleepy town for student atheletes

Victoria University Students’ Association President Jasmine Freemantle has confirmed that accommodation has been found for the 300 or so athletes expected to represent Victoria at this year’s University Games in New Plymouth.

Proposed accommodation in Hawera, an hour south of New Plymouth has come to fruition. Freemantle said plans for transport to and from New Plymouth, and possible entertainment options, were still being discussed.

Boobs on Blades

Ever been to an event where ten butch girls on roller blades tear each other down whilst skating around an arena in teams?! Now is your chance.

Rolling into Wellington this weekend for the first time ever, the Richter City Roller Derby marks the unprecedented revival of possibly one of the only full contact women’s sports we will ever see. Local crews Smash Malice and Brutal Pageant will battle head-to-head on Saturday in an hour-long episode of what seems to be WWEon blades: “We’re ready to show Wellington what’s on offer—seismic entertainment off the Richter scale!”

Probing scientists found somewhere other than on UFO’s ha ha, get it?

Scientists from seven countries around the globe will gather together in the Franz Josef Glacier this Sunday for a five-day-long probe-fest.

As one of the world’s most active fault-lines, the Alpine Fault will be explored by 60 scientists (led by Dr John Townend of Vic Uni), who are inspecting earthquake deformation processes and hopefully drilling some shit.

Brainy Students Get Free Snacks While the Rest of Us Get fewer Tutorials

Last week, Victoria University’s top thirty-four Accounting and Commercial Law students received Awards for Excellence in the annual prize giving ceremony.

Afterwards the recipients and their families were invited to mix and mingle, and to snack on some light refreshments… no wonder some of our tutorial classes are being cut down because of (actual quote) “necessary budget readjustments”.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.