News in Brief

Delicious new student loan incentives announced; Dunne pleased to have something to do

Kind-hearted students may benefit from a recent announcement by Revenue Minister Peter Dunne. Another four charities are being added to an established list of 54 which entitles its volunteers to interest-free student loans during an overseas placement.

“It’s further acknowledgment of the unique situations volunteers are in who work for non profit organizations,” Mr Dunne said. But like other interest-free offers, borrowers must apply to Inland Revenue to determine if they qualify.

Docs and nurses invited to enjoy NZ’s “Grey Sky Anatomy”

Graduate doctors, nurses and midwives willing to commit to 3–5 years employment in harder to staff specialties and areas, are now eligible for new incentives announced this week.

“We hope to fill our medical professional shortage and tempt others into the industry,” said Minister of Health Tony Ryall. “On offer is cash incentives and student loan debt write-offs.”

Talented people (who aren’t you) to play concert (for you)

Check out the Adam Art Gallery 8pm, Tuesday 3 March to hear the latest from Sound Check, an exhibition and performance series which canvases the history and current state of sound/art in New Zealand, and explores the practices that intersect with it.

Attendees can expect to hear a live feed performance/presentation of two new site-specific sounds from Christine White and Chris Black, both recent graduates from the Sonic Arts programme, at the New Zealand School of Music.