News in Brief

People do things, receive prizes

Victoria University of Wellington conferred honorary degrees on Sarah Billinghurst and Professor Pham Van Nang this week.

Billinghurst, who is the Assistant Artistic Manager of the Metropolitan Opera (the Met) graduated Vic with a political science degree in 1963, but this time around sees her receive a honorary doctorate of music, for nurturing the careers of many well-known international music professionals.

Professor Pham Van Nang, Rector of the University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, receives his honorary doctorate in commerce for the personal commitment shown in his role during the development of Victoria’s campus in his city.

Student leaders on the prowl

NZUSA Co-Presidents Sophia Blair and Jordan King recently began a nationwide tour of tertiary insitutions. “We’re really looking forward to meeting everyone and discussing common interests and issues. In particular, how we can work together to further our goals,” King said.

During their month-long trip they will visit many universities, polytechnics and institutes of technology.

“During the visits our key focus is on delivering tailored training and information to individual executives at our member students’ associations,” Blair said.

New Research Centre to focus on Little China Girls. Oh Baby, just you shut your mouth

A contemporary China research centre, based at Vic, hopes to become the national platform for China-related research and knowledge sharing in New Zealand. VUW Professor of International Relations, Xiaoming Huang has been appointed director of the new facility. “This outstanding initiative will enhance capability building and knowledge sharing between tertiary institutions,” he says.

The establishment of the centre is supported by funding from the New Zealand Tertiary Education Commission and will be led by Victoria University in partnership with the Universities of Otago and Canterbury. You’ll have to wait till April to see it though, as it does not formally open till then.

Baboon teases found outside Lower Hutt

Recent research by Victoria University Master of Science student Ray Tobler found some of the female baboons at Wellington Zoo seeking more ‘action’ than they have in the past from their male counterparts.

“Groups of female baboons usually just have one male baboon between them for mating,” Tobler said. “But it appears the groups we researched may be modifying their reproductive cycle to change this so they can deceive their mates and find another.”.

1