News in Brief

Vic student may be able to predict the future

Late last year John Carter, a research associate in Victoria’s School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences, spoke at a Geobiology workshop held by the China University of Geosciences about his research on phytoliths—a type of microfossil.

It is reported that using these fossil(s) along with a new method he developed, it might be possible to find out vital information about how the climate could change in the future. John was one of 16 international speakers invited to participate.

No job? You’re not alone.

Data recently released by Student Job Search (SJS) suggests more students are looking for work but that there are less jobs available. Spokeswoman for Student Job Search, Lorna McConnon said enrolments with SJS are up 27 percent, with vacancies down 20 percent compared to last year. She also said students are filling vacancies almost as fast as they are listed on the SJS website.

New Zealand needs more grads; introduces degree in just dicking around

The New Zealand Vice-Chancellors Committee (NZVCC), buoyed by similar moves from the Australian Federal Government, wants to see New Zealand implement a strategic plan to increase the number of graduates.

“New Zealand needs to consider a similar, long-term public investment in university education if it is to remain remotely competitive on an international basis,” said NZVCC deputy chair Derek McCormack.

McCormack says it is particularly pertinent to involve young Maori and Pacific Islanders in tertiary education.

“In New Zealand, the number of Maori moving from school to degree level study is increasing slowly and that progression needs to accelerate, particularly for males. New Zealand universities want to work with government on initiatives to further improve these participation and retention rates and taking a long-term investment approach will achieve this.”

1