No mates? Sort it out!

Kia ora, kia ora. It’s Freya, your Vice President (Education) here. I hope your first week went well. I daresay you first years might be getting a bit cocky now – you know where your lectures are, you know what people are talking about when they refer to ‘Hugh Mac’ (Hugh McKenzie Building, in case you’re still not in the know). Perhaps you even know which doors swing open, and which you have to use a button to operate. It’s still early days though.

You’ve got it pretty sweet at Vic, though. The more seasoned university students actually don’t give first years that bad a time. I didn’t receive any ill-treatment in my first trimester, as far as I can remember. It’s fair to say that the large majority of Vic Uni students are simply too scene to care about much at all – let alone first years. So don’t worry too much about it.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it a million more times… Join a club! We have many clubs at Vic, so there’s bound to be something for you. There’s a full list of them inside your VUWSA diary, in the first couple of pages, after the Executive profiles and stuff. Check it out.

Not only do we have clubs but we have representative groups too—which my colleague and fellow Vice President, Seamus filled you in about last week. Joining a rep group is another excellent way to make friends. So, if you see any you’re interested in, don’t be afraid to go along and see what it’s all about. The first time is often a little nerve-wracking, but it’s worth it in the long run.

Besides from that, there are heaps of other ways you can get involved on campus. VUWSA, for example. We’re always looking for keen volunteers with an interest in student representation and activism. If you’re interested in that, email our Campaigns Officer, Sam Oldham, at campaigns@vuwsa.org.nz. And remember, we’re currently on the look out for a Campaigns Coordinator to support Sam – so you could get paid to do it!

And then there’s Salient. Salient is funded by VUWSA, and so it is your magazine, and you have the right of control over it. So, f you’re a keen writer, cartoonist, or just a funny kid with nothing to do but talk smack, get in contact with Jackson, the editor. You never know, you could end up with your own column! You never know until you try.

There’s many ways to get involved at Vic—you just have to get out there.

1