March 30, 2009 | by  | in Film |

Of Time And The City

SLOW FADE

“The camera lies all the time; lies 24 times/second.” —Brian DePalma.

When I asked fellow Salienteer Sarah Robson how I could review a film that was little more than archive footage melodically intercut with a voiceover, she said “Just write that.” “Just that?” I replied. “Yeah.” “What about this?” “This now? What we’re saying now?” “Yeah, should I include that too?” “No. That just seems like the kind of lazy self-reflexive padding so disastrously self-evident in student journalism, and Salient especially!” She didn’t actually say that last bit. She was too busy applying fake tan to be nearly as post-modern as she should have been. (I wrote this bit over a week ago and am really not sure whether I should include this. Discuss.)

Ah, Terence Davies. Terence Davies and his memories. Terence Davies and his memories and us. Locked in a cinema together. His gruff but articulate voice-over floats over faded black and white images Eisenstein montage tracing his life in and love of his home town of Liverpool. It is achingly beautiful and deeply moving to watch.

Media. Through which something travels.

Intimacy is a word not often used in movie trade. Unless, of course, it is in reference to the film Intimacy. We have a present tense cinema that is so stuck in shock in awe, in the upper end of the scale that any act on the closer spectrum becomes something to be treasured. Davies is sharing a very specific part of himself with us, and we should thank him.

Thank you, Terence Davies. Can I call you Terry?

SLOW FADE

Written and directed by Terence Davies
Showing in the World Cinema Showcase at Paramount, 2–15 April 2009

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1. Body with Olie Body
  2. How To: Saving Money, and Your Life, Under Capitalism
  3. Local Anti-Vaxxer “Shocked” After Dying of Measles
  4. Zero Carbon? Zero Problems?
  5. Announced Welfare Reform Leaves Beneficiaries Short-Changed
  6. Restorative Justice Policies Proposed for VUW
  7. New Sustainability Committee “Sussing for Students”
  8. PIKI WELLINGTON LAUNCH
  9. Name Change Horse Finally Gets a Funeral
  10. Activists Say SAS Raid Inquiry Lacks Transparency