March 10, 2009 | by  | in Online Only |

My Pitchfork Fix

Like a filthy heroin addict I headed over to Pitchfork last night to get my fix.

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with Pitchfork. Their constant reviews provide a handy, and generally trustworthy, way of finding out about new music. However, as somebody who tries to write reviews myself, they have set what can at times be a frustratingly overbearing precedent. Furthermore, the way their seal of approval (aka an 8.0 or higher) can be taken as gospel really gets on my nerves. I love it when they give a good album a bad review. It makes me feel better about the world.

Rather than wait around for the main page to load I flicked over to Itunes to change playlists (I’d just made a sweet ’80s mix) but when I tabbed back something hit me right in the eyes.

Rather than being greeted by the comforting Pitchfork Blue, everything was white. It was like being snowblind, except that this particular form of snow had been laced with shards of glass. I blinked, and as the sense of shock receded I made out a pair hands waving something about wildly in a video. It was a HUGE ad for the Ipod Touch.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

This vision of Hi-Tech nirvana had just struck an optical nerve. My flatmate has an Ipod Touch. I’ve owned a classic Ipod 20 Gig for almost 5 years. It had fucked out on me earlier that evening so I’d had to go through the tedium of restoring it to factory settings and reloading all of my music. Needless to say, having Pitchfork wave an Ipod Touch in my face while I was trying to find their review of the Byrne/Eno album was not helping matters. I typed some stuff into the search field. It took me to a new page. The new page was blank. I tried to go back, the main page took ages to load. When I finally returned to the snowstorm I tried to reorient myself. Pitchfork’s main page had been transformed from a smooth, if slightly cumbersome, repository of musical knowledge to a jumbled mess of text, images, video, ads and links.

Sigh.

Right now I can’t quite live without Pitchfork. But their new corporate eyesore of a website moves them further towards the internet trash can of irrelevance. I hope that a day will soon come where I no longer feel compelled to visit their page for my fix. Perhaps HypeM can hook me up instead!

1. Pain
  2. A list of things that will help keep us healthy and pain-free this winter
  3. Wellington City Council are telling fibs
  4. Boring report proves mildly interesting
  5. Otago Uni are desperate
  6. Lol, no one was going to vote anyway
  7. We are not so bad at sport after all
  8. V-ISA speak out against outsourcing
  9. Kelburn residents angry about non-existent building
  10. Mum and Dad fighting over tertiary education, again

Dancing With Sad Sweaty Businessmen

: An instructor who I will amiably call Old Man Yellow Teeth tried to approach me, but I ran to the water cooler.