March 10, 2009 | by  | in Online Only |

My Pitchfork Fix

Like a filthy heroin addict I headed over to Pitchfork last night to get my fix.

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with Pitchfork. Their constant reviews provide a handy, and generally trustworthy, way of finding out about new music. However, as somebody who tries to write reviews myself, they have set what can at times be a frustratingly overbearing precedent. Furthermore, the way their seal of approval (aka an 8.0 or higher) can be taken as gospel really gets on my nerves. I love it when they give a good album a bad review. It makes me feel better about the world.

Rather than wait around for the main page to load I flicked over to Itunes to change playlists (I’d just made a sweet ’80s mix) but when I tabbed back something hit me right in the eyes.

Rather than being greeted by the comforting Pitchfork Blue, everything was white. It was like being snowblind, except that this particular form of snow had been laced with shards of glass. I blinked, and as the sense of shock receded I made out a pair hands waving something about wildly in a video. It was a HUGE ad for the Ipod Touch.

This vision of Hi-Tech nirvana had just struck an optical nerve. My flatmate has an Ipod Touch. I’ve owned a classic Ipod 20 Gig for almost 5 years. It had fucked out on me earlier that evening so I’d had to go through the tedium of restoring it to factory settings and reloading all of my music. Needless to say, having Pitchfork wave an Ipod Touch in my face while I was trying to find their review of the Byrne/Eno album was not helping matters. I typed some stuff into the search field. It took me to a new page. The new page was blank. I tried to go back, the main page took ages to load. When I finally returned to the snowstorm I tried to reorient myself. Pitchfork’s main page had been transformed from a smooth, if slightly cumbersome, repository of musical knowledge to a jumbled mess of text, images, video, ads and links.

Right now I can’t quite live without Pitchfork. But their new corporate eyesore of a website moves them further towards the internet trash can of irrelevance. I hope that a day will soon come where I no longer feel compelled to visit their page for my fix. Perhaps HypeM can hook me up instead!

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.