March 10, 2009 | by  |

My Pitchfork Fix

Like a filthy heroin addict I headed over to Pitchfork last night to get my fix.

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with Pitchfork. Their constant reviews provide a handy, and generally trustworthy, way of finding out about new music. However, as somebody who tries to write reviews myself, they have set what can at times be a frustratingly overbearing precedent. Furthermore, the way their seal of approval (aka an 8.0 or higher) can be taken as gospel really gets on my nerves. I love it when they give a good album a bad review. It makes me feel better about the world.

Rather than wait around for the main page to load I flicked over to Itunes to change playlists (I’d just made a sweet ’80s mix) but when I tabbed back something hit me right in the eyes.

Rather than being greeted by the comforting Pitchfork Blue, everything was white. It was like being snowblind, except that this particular form of snow had been laced with shards of glass. I blinked, and as the sense of shock receded I made out a pair hands waving something about wildly in a video. It was a HUGE ad for the Ipod Touch.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

This vision of Hi-Tech nirvana had just struck an optical nerve. My flatmate has an Ipod Touch. I’ve owned a classic Ipod 20 Gig for almost 5 years. It had fucked out on me earlier that evening so I’d had to go through the tedium of restoring it to factory settings and reloading all of my music. Needless to say, having Pitchfork wave an Ipod Touch in my face while I was trying to find their review of the Byrne/Eno album was not helping matters. I typed some stuff into the search field. It took me to a new page. The new page was blank. I tried to go back, the main page took ages to load. When I finally returned to the snowstorm I tried to reorient myself. Pitchfork’s main page had been transformed from a smooth, if slightly cumbersome, repository of musical knowledge to a jumbled mess of text, images, video, ads and links.

Sigh.

Right now I can’t quite live without Pitchfork. But their new corporate eyesore of a website moves them further towards the internet trash can of irrelevance. I hope that a day will soon come where I no longer feel compelled to visit their page for my fix. Perhaps HypeM can hook me up instead!

1. Tumuaki
  2. Ngā Rangahautira
  3. Ngā Taura Umanga
  4. Ngā Pou o Ngāi Tauira
  5. Te Hōhaieti o te reo Māori ki Wikitōria
  6. Te Kura Reo ki te Ūpoko o te Ika
  7. Pūrangiaho
  8. Ingoa Kārangaranga
  9. Yarn With Zwaan
  10. Te Ao Mārama

Most popular

1. The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand 280 views
  2. Taking My Mother Along To See Pinky Fang 78 views
  3. Happy Birthday Lindsay Lohan—An Interview With Claire Harris 72 views
  4. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 53 views
  5. Ingoa Kārangaranga 37 views
  6. The Discontinuation Method 29 views
  7. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 25 views
  8. Beautiful Bodies 24 views
  9. Puffer Jackets 23 views
  10. The Bresolin Brothers 20 views
weed

The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand

: Why have cannabis-related arrests halved while use has remained the same? There’s a simple answer: the Police are decriminalising cannabis in New Zealand