March 23, 2009 | by  |

Strange Resting Places

Strange Resting Places is a collection of stories based around the exploits of the Maori battalion in Italy during World War II. Centering around and spinning off from the core story of an unlikely meeting between a solder from the battalion and a deserter from the Italian fascist army.

These stories are about communication across languages and cultures. Riffing heavily on the absurdities of war, the actors play out war as a game. Guitars become guns, poi the propeller of a plane. These LePage-inflected sequences are perfectly pitched to both make their thematic point but never undercut the seriousness of their associated symbol. When a guitar-gun—or “guntar”—fires, it stops being a toy and a game, and the horrible realties—and unrealities—of war are pulled into sharp focus. Director Leo Gene Peters is, and always has been, master of space, pace and tone, and here his talents are put to great use. He doesn’t put a foot wrong.

The performances by Rob Mokaraka, Maaka Pohatu and Paolo Rotondo are all of astounding quality. All flitting between multiple characters, sometimes in little more than the blink of an eye, they all demonstrate enviable technical performative ranges. Every role seems fully formed and lived in. Mokaraka’s performances as both a chicken and a goat were of particular delight to the audience.

Strange Resting Places has a very open relationship with its audience. We are lit at all times, making the evening seem much more one of shared experience and storytelling, as opposed to the oppressive ‘Sit down, shut up. Theatre is about to happen to you, whether you like it or not’ motherfluffer-demarcation that pervades so much of the mainstream. It’s nice to feel welcome, everyone knows that, but it is a fact so often seemingly forgot by the larger theatres in Wellington, and Strange Resting Places marks a change for the better.

Very rarely is there theatre that I can acclaim and recommend unreservedly. There are no ifs or buts to Strange Resting Places’ quality. It is a triumphant work that anyone can and will enjoy. Not to be missed.

Directed by Leo Gene Peters
Written by Rob Mokaraka and Paolo Rotondo
With Rob Mokaraka, Maaka Pohatu and Paolo Rotondo

At Downstage, 16–21 March 2009, 8pm
Abridged Child-friendly version 21 March 2009, 2pm

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 41 views
  2. The Übermensch 37 views
  3. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 28 views
  4. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 27 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 16 views
  6. The Bresolin Brothers 15 views
  7. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  8. The Sedulous Recorder 14 views
  9. Twitterviews 12 views
  10. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 12 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more