Shit food discussed within earshot of shit food

A quiet Student Representative Council (SRC) meeting was held last Wednesday at Mount Street bar to discuss the quality of food offered on campus.

Presided over by an abridged version of the Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association Executive and little more, the meeting was unable to meet the 50-person quorum needed to pass any motions, though a passionate discussion of the topic did unfurl.

VUWSA Campaigns Officer Sam Oldham firstly apologised for the inflammatory use of the description “shit food” in posters advertising the SRC, an inclusion VUWSA President Jasmine Freemantle had not approved of.

Freemantle, who had not seen the final poster draft prior to printing, had insisted upon an “appropriate” slogan to entice students to attend the SRC, and felt that any use of the word “shit” would be needlessly inflammatory.

Oldham, who campaigned on a platform of improving the standards of food on campus during the 2008 VUWSA election, was unrepentant.

“I’m sorry if this did offend anybody, that wasn’t the intention,” Oldham said.

“But the food on campus is pretty shit.”

Oldman promised to continue lobbying for a “greater variety” of food choices, particularly vegetarian and vegan, and called upon the university to allow the dispelled Hare Krishner group to return to campus.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.