Shit food discussed within earshot of shit food

A quiet Student Representative Council (SRC) meeting was held last Wednesday at Mount Street bar to discuss the quality of food offered on campus.

Presided over by an abridged version of the Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association Executive and little more, the meeting was unable to meet the 50-person quorum needed to pass any motions, though a passionate discussion of the topic did unfurl.

VUWSA Campaigns Officer Sam Oldham firstly apologised for the inflammatory use of the description “shit food” in posters advertising the SRC, an inclusion VUWSA President Jasmine Freemantle had not approved of.

Freemantle, who had not seen the final poster draft prior to printing, had insisted upon an “appropriate” slogan to entice students to attend the SRC, and felt that any use of the word “shit” would be needlessly inflammatory.

Oldham, who campaigned on a platform of improving the standards of food on campus during the 2008 VUWSA election, was unrepentant.

“I’m sorry if this did offend anybody, that wasn’t the intention,” Oldham said.

“But the food on campus is pretty shit.”

Oldman promised to continue lobbying for a “greater variety” of food choices, particularly vegetarian and vegan, and called upon the university to allow the dispelled Hare Krishner group to return to campus.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,