Shit food discussed within earshot of shit food

A quiet Student Representative Council (SRC) meeting was held last Wednesday at Mount Street bar to discuss the quality of food offered on campus.

Presided over by an abridged version of the Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association Executive and little more, the meeting was unable to meet the 50-person quorum needed to pass any motions, though a passionate discussion of the topic did unfurl.

VUWSA Campaigns Officer Sam Oldham firstly apologised for the inflammatory use of the description “shit food” in posters advertising the SRC, an inclusion VUWSA President Jasmine Freemantle had not approved of.

Freemantle, who had not seen the final poster draft prior to printing, had insisted upon an “appropriate” slogan to entice students to attend the SRC, and felt that any use of the word “shit” would be needlessly inflammatory.

Oldham, who campaigned on a platform of improving the standards of food on campus during the 2008 VUWSA election, was unrepentant.

“I’m sorry if this did offend anybody, that wasn’t the intention,” Oldham said.

“But the food on campus is pretty shit.”

Oldman promised to continue lobbying for a “greater variety” of food choices, particularly vegetarian and vegan, and called upon the university to allow the dispelled Hare Krishner group to return to campus.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city