March 30, 2009 | by  | in Books Opinion |

Sunday Potato Cakes

These savoury cakes are an excellent way to use up leftover mashed potato. I had a bowl of leftover mash from a dinner where it accompanied vegetable gratin, along with venison and red wine sausages (surprisingly well priced at Pak n’ Save). The basic idea is, you bind the potato with egg, a little cheese and the flavouring of your choice. I think herbs are nice to add a bit of colour to the cakes—but it really depends on what you have available. I served these up for a Sunday snack with a terribly trashy sauce of Greek yoghurt mixed with sweet chilli… It was quite satisfying.

-2 1/2 to 3 cups cold mashed potato

-2 eggs

-Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (any fresh herb will do)

-1/3 cup grated cheese (parmesan is nice if you have it)

-Splash of vegetable oil

Turn your oven on to 150°C. Slightly beat the eggs and add the salt, pepper, cheese and herbs. Stir in the mashed potato only until the mixture is the consistency of very thick porridge.

Heat up a small amount of oil in a saucepan and drop big spoonfuls of the batter into the pan. Wait until they are bubbling on the sides and a little set on the top and then, using a small fish slice, flip them over. This is quite tricky if you are a hasty person—you must be patient and wait until they are cooked enough on one side to withstand the flip. When they are golden brown pop them in a pan in the oven to keep warm while you fry the rest. You may need to add extra oil between batches, and it definitely helps to use any oil but olive oil or butter, as these types burn easily. Serve with whatever sauce takes your fancy.

I imagine that these cakes would also be good with fish stirred though the batter and a squirt of lemon juice on the top.

NB If, after you fry the first cake, you find that the mixture isn’t binding, feel free to add a couple of tablespoons of flour. I didn’t have any problems but some people have odd things happen to them in the kitchen.

1