Te Puni Village open for business

In a ceremony presided over by university staff, residents, Residential Assistants (RA) and Prime Minister John Key, Victoria’s first on-campus Hall of Residence, Te Puni Village, officially opened its doors to 389 residents on 23 February.

The custom-built three-towered complex, which was 18 months in the making, boasts a modern mix of single catered rooms, self-catered studios, two-bedroom apartments, and a 200 seat dining hall.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Pat Walsh welcomed the addition of Te Puni into the university’s modern and expanding family of facilities.

“Students from across New Zealand and overseas want to study at Victoria, so Te Puni Village will go a long way to providing suitable accommodation for those students,” Professor Walsh said.

In recent times, a number of Victoria’s halls of residence have come under scrutiny for the cleanliness and durability of its buildings. Issues surrounding construction and ventilation have given headaches to residents and managers alike.

Te Puni Village manager Liv Iversen was confident, however, that steps had been put in place to avoid any problems that may arise in the hall’s initial weeks and months.

“We anticipate none but are prepared regardless,” she said.

“In regards to the building, there is a robust defects procedure in place and the building is under warranty. Tried and tested procedures, policies and processes from other halls of residence will be applied.”

While Te Puni is only the second hall to be entirely university owned—the first being Weir House—its daily ebbs and flows will be managed by New Zealand-owned accommodation specialists Campus Living Villages (CLV) NZ Ltd.

“CLV is a professional, innovative student accommodation management company. We look after close to 4000 beds in New Zealand, and we will implement sound and proven policies and processes for residents,” said Iversen.

“All RAs have been trained and know the services available for students on campus and how Te Puni Village residents can access them if needed.”

An estimated 1980 cubic metres of concrete and 658 tonnes of steel were used to construct the 13,850sqm complex.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1