March 30, 2009 | by  | in Opinion |

WRO

Hi everyone! I’m Kassie Hartendorp and I’m the newly elected Women’s Rights Officer this year. Thanks to all of you who voted for me! As to those who thought they’d tick the old No Confidence box—I DO have your names and I.P. addresses. My wrath will be coming at you in the form of spam titled “Make Love Log Grow.” As WRO, I get to do exciting things like organise women-focused campaigns, coordinate the Women’s Group, and generally look after women’s welfare on campus.

To those of you who didn’t attend the VUWSA IGM (Shame on you!) the Women’s Group was made into a permanent Representative Group. This is great, as women make up a huge demographic of Victoria students and should be represented with their own group. The Women’s Group is feminist in nature, which may scare off the faint-hearted, (totally unnecessary as only a few of us are as hairy as the myths entail), however, it has been made abundantly clear that if feminists aren’t fighting for women’s rights then no one is! The group holds alternating weekly meetings; dinner and film nights every second Monday at 6pm in Meeting Room 3 (bring a plate!) which is open to all genders and Tuesday meetings at 4pm in the Women’s Room. Meetings are open to self-identified women regardless of age, sexual orientation, religion or political beliefs. Tuesdays are women’s only. God knows it’s hard conspiring to overthrow the patriarchy when males are present—it just gets messy. I know all this is confusing, but if you have any trouble remembering which week it is, check the notices in Salient or chuck me an email.

As well as organising events throughout the year, the Women’s Group is in charge of organising Women’s Fest; a whole week of fun and informative women-focussed events from May 4th to 8th. While I cannot divulge all the fantastic activities we have planned, I do have to mention the feminist fashion show we will be putting on. The theme is Fashion in the Recession and we’re seeking originals or re-worked DIY style garments. To any of you lovely readers out there, who are interested in lending clothing and/or bodies to adorn with clothing, send me an email!

ALSO, listen to the Women’s Show (VBC 88.3FM) on Thursdays from 10-11am! For information on anything here, email: wro@vuwsa.org.nz.

1. Kerry says:

yeehaa! Now for the weekly column, hehe :-)

2. the tank says:

if u post about real wimmns issues it will be a good read

but if u post some snorefest mix cd shit then f#$k off

3. Tanky says:

JACKSUN PRINT A WEEKLY COLUMN YOU RAPIST

4. the tank says:

jackson rapes salient wif his man dick

5. Turdanklient says:

Why the did some one rite about making a mix cd when there are other more pressin feminst issues?

Man with AIDS has unrpotected sex with woman, man in court about raping a woman IN ROTATRUA, the moves by national gvoernmt to stop pay equity, kidnap of a girl, a story bout the pill cutting abortion numbers.

Then in the Sunday Star times this beauty: “instead, young New Zealand women are regularly getting drunk and cruising around in packs looking for men to have sex with. ”

Out of a raft of feminist issues she wrote about a mix cd, for fucks sake.

6. little colin says:

wimmen need a full page to do what they could prob do on fuckin facebook why are feminazis so dumb

7. Turdanklient says:

thst was in relation to this [pst: http://www.salient.org.nz/columns/womens-column-5

srylsuy