Holy shit, we won the fucking shield

In the midst of negative publicity, logistical difficulties, and one of its smallest teams ever sent to an Easter tournament, Victoria University of Wellington emerged victorious from the 2009 University Games in New Plymouth, winning the tournament, and defending the University Shield for the first time.

Victoria’s win was its 10th in the tournament’s 86 year history and its second away from home, scoring 198 points, ahead of the University of Auckland on 178, and Auckland University of Technology on 132 points.

Victoria University of Wellington Students Association President Jasmine Freemantle was understandably delighted with the performance of Victoria’s athletes.
vicunigames
“We sent a competitive team to the Taranaki Games. This victory yet again confirms the high level of achievement and participation of Victoria’s students,” Freemantle said.

“It was impressive that Victoria won the shield this time around, considering many of the participants had to get up at daybreak every morning, and those were very, very long days for our athletes by and large.”

Victorian athletes placed first in 10 events, second in 8, and third in 2.

Of particular note was Stephanie Smith’s dominating performance in the women’s squash event winning gold for the second year in a row, and reportedly playing left-handed in some matches; the Victorian Men’s Basketball Team who placed first, defeating the heavily favoured team from Monash University in Australia; the Men’s Beach Volleyball teams who placed first and second; and Victoria’s Debating teams, which finished first and second, handsomely defending their title for the eleventh consecutive year.

Victoria Team Manager Brent Hayward admitted that the victory was an “unexpected surprise.”

“Our team wasn’t as big as we had hoped for. After the first day’s results, things were a little up and down. Thursday was a little bit better, and Friday things started to really come home for us,” Hayward said.

“We won by 20 points, which is not a huge margin, but a win’s a win, without a doubt. I’m very happy.”

Victoria University Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh also extended his congratulations to the Victoria Lions team.

“I’m extremely proud to see our students achieving not only academically, but on the sports field as well,” Walsh said. The logistical difficulties the Victoria Lions team faced particularly in regards to travel has cast doubt about whether the tournament would be held in a provincial city again.

Taranaki was the second non-university based region to host the games after Rotorua in 2008. Rumours are rife as to where the 2010 tournament will be held, with the possibility of a Hawkes Bay games being mooted.

Questions were raised again about the level of organisation of the tournament’s governing body, University Sport New Zealand. The decision to hold this year’s tournament over three towns has been criticised, and used as evidence of University Sport New Zealand’s loose grapple on organisational matters.

“I guess anyone who is familiar with University Sport New Zealand knows they’re quite disorganised, and the last year has been particularly disorganised,” Freemantle said.

“We certainly hope that next year’s university games will not be held in a provincial town—certainly not across three towns,”

Hayward echoed Freemantle’s statements, suggesting that victory would have been even more emphatic if the logistical difficulties that handicapped the team had not been a factor.

“If it was in a city centre, and if the travel requirements were not as hectic, it wouldn’t have been as huge a deterrent for athletes,” he said.

“If we had come with a team of 300-350, we would’ve dominated even more.”

University Sport New Zealand did not return Salient’s requests for a comment.

Freemantle thanked Victoria University for its generosity and openness in assisting the Lions team to victory.

“VUWSA are particularly grateful for the generous support of the University. Their contributions significantly assisted VUWSA in sending a strong team to the Games which no doubt aided in our victory at this important tertiary sporting event,” Freemantle said.

The University Games is one of the largest annual multi-sport events in New Zealand.

The Games were held in Taranaki from Tuesday 14 to Friday 17 April, and saw tertiary students from across New Zealand, and some from Australia, compete for the coveted shield.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1