April 6, 2009 | by  | in Theatre |

My Brilliant Divorce

My Brilliant Divorce is crafted for a very particular audience and must be commended for being fully aware of this and absolutely delivering what it promises. This is not, however, to say that the show is predictable. Performed by Ginette McDonald and under the direction of John Harding, this is a creative, original and entertaining production that simply achieves exactly what it sets out to do.

And, while I fall outside of the show’s niche market, I was not prevented from being thoroughly entertained by its content, and in particular, the cheeky and flawless performance by Ginette McDonald, whose comic timing never fails to hit the mark.

The set is beautifully designed, by director John Harding. We walk into the theatre and find ourselves outside a shop window, home to five mannequins. As the lights dim and the performance begins, the set moves back transforming the stage into the inside of the shop, where Angela works as a mannequin dresser, as the mannequins take on the roles of other characters in the play. The back wall draped in black curtains is dotted with twinkling stars, setting the scene for the romance that Angela longs for.

Angela’s husband has recently left her for the woman who he has been taking multiple “business trips” to Mexico to see. Her daughter also chooses this time to move out of home and in with her boyfriend, a drummer named “Hotstix”. Since her husband “got custody of all our married friends”, Angela is left almost completely alone, apart from her disapproving mother, and a few friends who come and go, but never seem to have much time for their “divorced friend”.

McDonald keeps us entertained by bringing out the humour in a sad story, but when toward the end she says “I wouldn’t wish those three years upon my worst enemy”, we reflect on what we have really watched her suffer over the three years her story covers, disguised in all the laughs. A great production.

Fiona was named "Recessionista" in the ASPA Fashion Awards 2009 for her Takaka op-shop frock and spray painted shoes. She co-edits the arts section and also likes to write about women and other stuff.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties