Outside world acknowledges existence of Salient.

In perhaps the single most ridiculous coup in New Zealand news media history, the website of Salient, Victoria University’s student publication, has been nominated for a Qantas Media Award.

Salient’s website underwent a major design revamp earlier this year, and has been shortlisted in the category of “Best Web Design,” baffling Salinteers and anyone with an ounce of news nous everywhere.

The Qantas Media Awards lauds and shines praise down upon the elite from print, broadcast, and online news squadrons.

Salient editor Jackson James Wood was characteristically humbled by the nomination.

“What does black tie entail? Isn’t that a bit racist?” Wood asked, before losing himself in media award-themed fantasy.

“Hey, look! It’s John Campbell! oi, john! where’d you think you’re going, sunshine?”.

Internationally acclaimed designer, Hamish Stevenson of Catch Design, spoke with grace and charm as he practiced delivering his valedictory speech.

“Two words: reverse mohawk,” Stevenson said, eyeing Editor Wood.

Salient Feature Writer Sarah Robson also expressed excitement at the forthcoming ceremony. “Maybe I’ll get to pash a real journalist!” she said.

Former Salient News Editor and award-winning journalist Laura McQuillan, of the New Zealand Press Association, was delighted at the opportunity to trade up her boyfriend, Salient Editor Jackson James Wood, for a better-paid journalist.

“Since Jackson [will probably spend] the night in the cells, it is only right of tvnz’s Dan Parker to console me,” she said.

Salient News Editor Michael Oliver lamented the possibility that the event will be anti-climatic for the student magazine.

“You can just imagine us sitting at a table right at the back of the arena, right behind Rugby News and that fucking Air New Zealand travel magazine,” he said.

“I won’t be able to even see Paul Henry’s ego from back there.”

Wood was confident that whatever the outcome, Salient would leave with its head held high…ish.

“It will be amazing to get to go up on stage in front of so many people. I really hope security isn’t too rough on me, though. I always get The Listener and Salient mixed up. Get me a drink,” he said.

The awards will be held at Wellington’s TSB Arena on 15 May.

Wood’s bail hearing will probably be heard on 18 May.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties