April 30, 2009 | by  | in Online Only |

“The only approach I stand against is doing nothing.”

I received an email update this morning from my Representative, Congressman Robert Wexler from Floirda’s 19th congressional district. The subject line: Wexler Calls for Special Prosecutor on Torture. I wanted to share it with you to prove that some people on the Hill are trying to bring these offenses to light and attempt to begin repairing the many criminal and heinous acts form what history will remember as one of the darkest times in America’s history. Or perhaps I just want to prove it to myself.

I hope this catches on like a house on fire. If this initiative is blocked, it will happen at the Executive level, in which case I’ll have all faith in “change.” Still, this is a step in the right direction. The email begins below.

— — — — — — — — — — —

Dear Friends,

Yesterday, I signed a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder urging the appointment of a Special Prosecutor to investigate the Bush Administration and Justice Department’s role in authorizing torture. With the release of the so-called “Torture Memos” last week, and the instrumental role that Bush Administration Justice Department and Executive Branch officials had in orchestrating and approving these techniques, it is evident to me that we need an independent investigation into this troubling series of events that have damaged our national security and diminished our nation before the eyes of the world.

Click here to view the text of the letter I sent to Attorney General Holder.

Additionally, in the coming days, a colleague and I will introduce legislation that we feel will further aid the investigative process.  More on that very soon.

President Obama’s clear rejection of torture is returning America to solid moral ground.  Likewise, Congress is taking important steps to repair the damage done to the rule of law and our system of checks and balances.  It may be overdue, but it is not too late.  

It is not simply enough to say we’ll never torture again, or never illegally wiretap again. We need to dig deeper and find out what has already taken place, if we are going to end such practices once and for all.  This is why I have supported the Conyers Commission, why I am supportive of a Special Prosecutor, and why in the coming days I will be issuing my own legislation. There are many different ideas about what type of investigation should be initiated, and I find positive aspects in all approaches.  The only approach I stand against is doing nothing.

I am proud that our new President is returning us to an open democracy that is committed to the rule of law and human rights.  Now is the time to find answers and deliver accountability.

More very soon.

Regards,

Congressman Robert Wexler

Andrew Mendes is an American studying International Relations and Public Policy at Victoria. He enjoys following politics and reading lots of news.

1. Jackson Wood says:

Interesting. I wonder how far this feeling extends and if it does extend to prosecuting those people responsible for it. Probably not.

2. Rory MacKinnon says:

I’m sorry to say this will be quashed almost immediately. Dennis Kucinich already introduced three resolutions between 2007 and 2008 calling for Bush and Cheney’s impeachment, all of which were referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary and basically consigned to the dustbin of history. When finally asked to clarify the party’s position in the run-up to the presidential election, Speaker of the House and Democrat Nancy Pelosi said on behalf of the party that impeachment charges were explicitly “off the table”, most likely because the Democrats were building the Obama campaign on a message of unity and reconciliation.

These are still key elements of Obama’s policy and rhetoric, and any proposal to stage a Nuremberg-style inquisition will be stymied by both parties quicker than you can say “stop it, stop, for the love of god, I’ll tell you everything”.

1