April 27, 2009 | by  | in Opinion |

The Vic Lions’ Team Reports

20/20 Cricket

The team started off the tournament with an easy win over Massey Albany, bowling them out for 50 with Matt Sadd taking 3 wickets. We then faced AUT who made 120. Needing 7 off the final over to win, we only managed six, so the game came down to a super over. Adam Clarke and Josh McLauchlan managed to get us to 14 then Daniel Norman ensured AUT only made 9 off their over, giving us our second win. We batted first against Auckland University the next day and made 140 with Josh McLauchlan making 70. We restricted them to 100 with Matt Sadd taking 4 wickets. We then played Waikato, the other unbeaten team, to see who would advance straight to the final. Unfortunately we lost, which meant we had to play AUT again, the winner going on to play Waikato in the final. We made 187 thanks to 124 from Mitch Lees and 50 from Josh McLauchlan. AUT only managed 130 with Adam Clarke and Matt Sadd taking 3 wickets each. In the final we batted first and made 120 with Alex Handley, making 60. Unfortunately Waikato chased it with an over to spare meaning we finished second.

Mitch Lees, Matthew Sadd, and Josh McLauchlan made the tournament team.

Debating

Alongside the rest of Team Victoria, the Victoria University Debating Society (Debsoc) enjoyed success at the 2009 University Games in South Taranaki. The impromptu debating competition, known as ‘Easters’ took place in Hawera and saw 20 teams competing for the prestigious Officers’ Cup. After seven rounds covering a diverse range of topics, including ‘This house would trade in endangered species’ and ‘This house would prosecute third parties for failing to report domestic abuse’, two Vic teams progressed to the semi-finals. Victoria One (Richard D’Ath and Seb Templeton) and Victoria Two (Yogesh Patel and Ella Edginton) both handily defeated their semi-final opposition before meeting in the fourth consecutive all Victoria final. The final saw Victoria One triumph negating that ‘This house would publicly fund political parties’. Seb and Richard were named in the New Zealand Impromptu Debating Team, with Seb named captain and Richard awarded best speaker of the tournament. Kathy Scott-Dowell was named first reserve, Ella Edginton received a highly commended award and Alex Olssen received a promising speaker award. Thanks go out to Polly Higbee for her work as Chief Adjudicator and Aidan Beckett and Jenna Raeburn for convening a highly successful event. Further congratulations go out to all Victoria debaters and judges.

Bikes

2009 was a very successful year bike-wise at the Uni Games in New Plymouth. It didn’t pour down every single day like it did in Rotorua last year and we didn’t get booted out of the accommodation by some crazed old motelier, which made for a good start. First up, our four road cyclists pulled on their lycra and battled it out with national champion riders to end up with a third and fifth placing in a sprint at the end of a tough battle over an undulating course. A lycra-tastic effort, one might say. Meanwhile, back at the accommodation (WITT Hostel), the mountain bikers were demonstrating that they too had plenty of wit, by taking out the basketballers in an intense beer pong match, played with the local bushman’s brew. The next day, Vic dominated the downhill mountain biking, having something like 10 out of the 15 riders entered, and also taking out second and third placings. Vic also dominated the cross-country mountain biking (riding up and down hills) with some good perfomances and taking out just about all the places from fourth til last, but were pipped by a student from Wairaki polytech, who must have done some serious training around his forestry or hospitality or whatever shit course one could do at a polytech.

Netball

The ’Naki Uni games was the start of something great, the beginning of our netball season and the opportunity to gain valuable points towards our greatest reward, The University Shield. We trained hard and played outstanding, winning three of six games against some highly competitive opposition. In comparison to the top team from AUT (Gold winners), who fielded 7 Auckland representative players, we were magnificent in losing by the least amount of goals than any other team competing. Very proud. Team spirit flowed down the court and through our team of accurate Lucy, experienced Tanya, nimble Courtney, speedy Stacey, agile Sylvia, aggressive Katie, peaceful Annie, destructive Bernie, vivacious Leah, perfect Amy, successful Brent and victorious Victor. What more could any team want? The Shield, baby! Our fifth place seeding gave us valuable points in retaining the Shield for another year. You little beauty!. As we walked around the TSB stadium proudly raising that magnificent prize, roars of the Lions flowed through the air, V I C, V I C, V I C, a lifetime memory, lifelong friends and precious experiences had by all. Experience the greatest opportunity in the world. Bring on 2010!.

Football

As always with organising teams, late pull outs, lack of contact and what not made for a fun few weeks leading up to Uni Games, but come kick-off Victoria had managed to field both a men’s and women’s football team to help Team Vic defend the shield for 2009. With a good mix of familiar and new faces, the anticipation was high for this year’s event. The women’s team finished sixth place with a record of 2 goals scored, 80 conceded, including a Uni Games record defeat of 20-1 to Waikato. Their games were played in great spirit and came off the pitch at the end of the tournament all good friends and had a blast. Credit needs to be paid as they did play with ten players for the majority of the tournament!

The men’s squad started the tournament hot favourites. With a borrowed strip from Hawera Men’s Football Club, wins against UNITEC, a sweet victory over AUT, and a draw against Auckland saw them in contention for the final. However with a semi-final loss to a refocused AUT, the dream of a three-peat vanish, resulting in an “eventful” 3rd/4th playoff against UNITEC on the final afternoon with Vic winning bronze in somewhat “challenging” conditions.

Highlights from the week were: Gezza for scoring a ripper free-kick, goalkeeper Jane “Green Machine” Knox and her one-on-one saves, Alaina “Chucker” Thomson for her defensive clearances, Tammy “UNITEC” Wells for chopping down half of team Waikato, Isaac Cant for “being able in every way”, Flyn Salter for his penalty miss and injuring a ten year old, and Andrew “U21” for his aesthetically pleasing Brazilian style football. Team awards include the John Rabino Memorial trophy for Fair Play going to Gordon from table tennis, and the Team Spirit Award goes to AJ (a.k.a. Judas) from Waikato.

Overall a very fun tournament had by both men’s and women’s teams and hopefully the majority will return next year for another crack at the title.

1