2009 Graduands To Get The Hell Outta Dodge

The streets of Wellington will be overrun with students this week as Victoria University celebrates its May graduation.

Nearly 2000 students will experience the sweet taste of success with 20 PhDs and 2,200 degrees, diplomas and certificates to be awarded at this year’s event.

The graduation begins with a traditional street parade, which will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday with students and staff departing from the Government Buildings Historic Reserve at noon. The parade ends at Civic Square, where graduands will be met by Mayor Kerry Prendergast and Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh.

Graduation ceremonies are a highlight of the University calendar for Walsh, “Joining the ranks of Victoria alumni is a significant milestone, and we look forward to following our graduates’ future successes.”

Ceremonies begin each day at 1.30pm, starting with Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and New Zealand School of Music on Tuesday, Faculties of Education, Architecture and Design and Science on Wednesday and Faculties of Commerce and Administration and Law on Thursday.

Graduation highlights include four Honorary Doctorates and graduands Murray Petrie (PhD Public Policy) and Marie Petrie-Deely (Bachelor of Biomedical Science), a father and daughter who will graduate together this week.

The ceremonies, which run over three days from Tuesday 21 May, will be held at the Michael Fowler Centre at Civic Square.

1. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  2. Beneath Skin and Bone
  3. No Common Ground
  4. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  5. Good Girls
  6. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  7. Winter Warmers: About Time
  8. Sex at Dawn
  9. BANG!
  10. PSC: One Ocean