Eye on Exec: Classic Cosgrove’s Confounding Capers

Last week’s meeting was short and sharp, with only five members in attendance, and Administration Vice President Alexander Neilson dropping in via speaker-phone. The day had been disappointing, with not enough students turning up to the Student Representative Council (SRC) to put forth a mandate for ANZAC day.

Under matters of Urgent General Business, Freemantle updated members on the Joel Cosgrove trip-to-Australia situation. Last year VUWSA granted Cosgrove full salary, airfares and a daily living allowance in order to travel to Melbourne for a conference. Cosgrove was in turn to write a report on the conference which substantiated the cost of the trip. Only a draft report was ever produced. Cosgrove owes VUWSA around $1200, which he has been refusing to pay.

Freemantle advised members that Cosgrove has finally responded to VUWSA and that he “may consider paying in part for his food and airfares” but that he is not willing to pay back the salary component from his trip.

She advised that a Victoria University law graduate has since come to her with an offer of help. She stated that this ex-student “has some colleagues interested in helping VUWSA get their money back.” This legal service will be provided “pro-bono”, with Freemantle adding that it “takes a lot of money to take someone to court, so it’s more appropriate to go down this road than have VUWSA pay.”

In debriefing the Student Representative Council (SRC) for ANZAC day, Freemantle also advised members that “Joel Cosgrove…was involved in burning a flag.” The executive members discussed the possibility of banning Cosgrove from future VUWSA related activities as he “endangers students.”

As there were only six executive members present at the time, Jasmine concluded that “banning Joel from anything would be best discussed with a more substantial executive in the room.”

In response to the inconclusive outcome of the SRC, where not enough students turned up to create a mandate on ANZAC day, members seemed disappointed but unsurprised. Robert Latimer commented that “because we didn’t have quorum it was kind of pointless,” and Freemantle encouraged members to “draw your own conclusion.”

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos