Eye on Exec: Classic Cosgrove’s Confounding Capers

Last week’s meeting was short and sharp, with only five members in attendance, and Administration Vice President Alexander Neilson dropping in via speaker-phone. The day had been disappointing, with not enough students turning up to the Student Representative Council (SRC) to put forth a mandate for ANZAC day.

Under matters of Urgent General Business, Freemantle updated members on the Joel Cosgrove trip-to-Australia situation. Last year VUWSA granted Cosgrove full salary, airfares and a daily living allowance in order to travel to Melbourne for a conference. Cosgrove was in turn to write a report on the conference which substantiated the cost of the trip. Only a draft report was ever produced. Cosgrove owes VUWSA around $1200, which he has been refusing to pay.

Freemantle advised members that Cosgrove has finally responded to VUWSA and that he “may consider paying in part for his food and airfares” but that he is not willing to pay back the salary component from his trip.

She advised that a Victoria University law graduate has since come to her with an offer of help. She stated that this ex-student “has some colleagues interested in helping VUWSA get their money back.” This legal service will be provided “pro-bono”, with Freemantle adding that it “takes a lot of money to take someone to court, so it’s more appropriate to go down this road than have VUWSA pay.”

In debriefing the Student Representative Council (SRC) for ANZAC day, Freemantle also advised members that “Joel Cosgrove…was involved in burning a flag.” The executive members discussed the possibility of banning Cosgrove from future VUWSA related activities as he “endangers students.”

As there were only six executive members present at the time, Jasmine concluded that “banning Joel from anything would be best discussed with a more substantial executive in the room.”

In response to the inconclusive outcome of the SRC, where not enough students turned up to create a mandate on ANZAC day, members seemed disappointed but unsurprised. Robert Latimer commented that “because we didn’t have quorum it was kind of pointless,” and Freemantle encouraged members to “draw your own conclusion.”

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties