International fees heading upwards and you should be goddam grateful

International fees at Victoria University of Wellington are set to increase by an average of 4% in 2010.

The cost students from overseas will be expected to fit for a Bachelor of Arts will increase from $17,300 a year to $18,000 a year. A Bachelor of Laws will rise from $21,000 to $21,850 a year and the cost of a Bachelor of Biomedical Science will rise from $21,400 to $22,250 a year. Master of Arts students will be facing an 8% increase, from $18 ,300 to $19,750 a year.

The university’s Pro Vice-Chancellor (International) Professor Rob Rabel said the increases were lenient considering the economic climate.

“This increase in fees is much smaller than the drop in the exchange rate for the New Zealand dollar since 2008 which has meant that fees have decreased by more than 10% this year for most international students in terms of their own currencies,” Professor Rabel said.

In 2008, the University Council passed a motion to increase international fees by 2%.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. Roger says:

“Goddamn grateful” ?

In-credible. Not only will this discourage students from applying because of the monstrous fees, but with this “take-it-or-leave-it” attitude the Victoria University of Wellington should expect a decrease of international students.

Personally, I think it would serve them right. Because everybody can use the excuse of the global “recession”. The perfect opportunity, why not. Oh dear…

2. Hank Scorpio says:

Uh, headline’s sarcastic, bud.

3. Roger says:

@Hank:

I figured. I doubt the same can be said about the article though. But how would it sound to someone who may not understand the joke? Say, someone whose native language is other than English?

4. Hank Scorpio says:

They’ll prob kill themselevs or something.

5. Hank Scorpio says:

I’m sorry.

1