Library suspends non-urgent purchases

That totally gorgeous tote you saw on sale also included

The library of Victoria University of Wellington has temporarily suspended the purchasing of all non-urgent items, citing budget constraints and the weakened New Zealand dollar as reasons for the halt.

The deferment of non-urgent purchases took effect in April and includes all items not classified as Closed Reserve or Three-Day Loan.

The inclement global economic climate has led to a number of academic journals and periodicals increasing their subscription rates. The pinch has been felt particularly hard in New Zealand academic circles, with the New Zealand dollar currently trading at just over US$0.50.

University Librarian Sue Roberts said that Victoria’s library also had a delicate budget to handle, and the purchase halt was an unfortunate necessity.

“Given that the majority of Library collections are purchased overseas, the fall in the exchange rate has resulted in significantly increased costs of journals and books,” Roberts said.

“In order to stay within budget and plan for the remainder of the year, non-urgent book purchasing was suspended during April. This has enabled a reassessment of the budget for the remainder of the year, which is currently being finalised.”
There was no official word on when the suspension was likely to be lifted.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. More like 60USc. Though that still sucks.

2. robert says:

yeah sux.

money grabbing hobbits though lost books a few books a couple years back tried to get me to replace them and do the work for them.dodgy.tried to overcharge. watch out.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy