News in Grief :(

Let me tell you how it will be,there’s one for you, nineteen for me

A project identifying medium-term policy options for New Zealand’s tax system is about to begin, with Victoria University, in conjunction with the Treasury and Inland Revenue, coordinating it. A small group of high-level experts will be beavering away from June to November with the culmination of their work—a major public conference—to be hosted on campus in December 2009.

I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A MAN!

Responding to a Ministry of Education report which shows New Zealand has one of the lowest higher education levels, Tertiary Edecucation U President Dr Tom Ryan has called on tertiary institutions to take more responsibility for students. “Up to 10 percent of first year students are just names on paper. They’re not turning up and no one bothers to question their absence,” Ryan said.

Intelligent design wins, science surrenders

In the recent Australasian Student Design Awards (ASDA), Victoria University graduand Nazia Kachwalla scooped up top prizes for her interior designing, being named the overall winner of the competition. While she waits to graduate this week Miss Kachwalla’s final thesis product currently sits in Australia, at the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre, and will later be brought back home and displayed at Victoria University’s Faculty of Architecture and Design.

Abortion appeal DOA

Two appeals to overthrow a High Court ruling on abortion law were last week dismissed by the Court of Appeal.

In a recommendation last June, High Court judge Justice Forrest Miller, questioned the lawfulness of many abortions performed in New Zealand.

The Abortion Supervisory Committee—the statutory body which administers abortions—appealed the decision.

A counter-appeal by anti-abortion group Right to Life argued that embryos should be given full human rights.

The Court of Appeal questioned whether the courts should be tackling the issue, recommending that Parliament should consider reform of the 32-year-old Contraception, Sterilisation and Abortion Act.

1. There’s a New Editor
1