Shorty Short Short News

Budding bonus ‘bout to bloom

Good news for those who want to pay off their student loan earlier, with The Student Loan Repayment Bonus scheme being announced last week.

The amended bill, which will be introduced by Revenue Minister Peter Dunne and Tertiary Education Minister Anne Tolley, will provide a 10 percent bonus for borrowers who make voluntary repayments on their student loan.

“The measures in this bill will provide a welcome boost to people who want to pay off their student loans sooner,” the Ministers said.

Teachers quit MIT for reasons other than it’s MIT

Concerns over increasing workloads have led to industrial action taking place at Manukau Institute of Technology last week.

The strike took place after flurries of administrative staff were made redundant, while staff continued to complain about already high work levels.

Tertiary Education Union organiser Chan Dixon commented that “This situation is becoming harder and harder to sustain and the time has come to act”.

Expert in Oscar award winning film theme to visit Vic

One of the world’s foremost experts on the Holocaust is to visit Victoria University of Wellington this month.

Professor Omer Bartov, of Brown University, Rhode Island, will be at Victoria University from 18 to 21 May 2009 delivering a public lecture and seminars on the Holocaust and genocide.

Bartov’s public lecture at Victoria on 20 May, “The Holocaust and Genocide: Remembering the Twentieth Century”, will examine how the Holocaust came to become one of the most storied events of the 20th century.