May 25, 2009 | by  | in Arts Music |

The Apollo Association

The Apollo Association are a fresh sound on the Wellington scene, with last Thursday being only their second live public performance, upon which they definitely made their mark.

Taking their name from the Greek god of music, Apollo, the trio includes Matt Pipe on keys, Chris Sullivan on guitar and Henry Harrison on drums. Although the band has only been playing together for 6 months, they have come a long way from jam sessions in the bedroom.

By taking elements of psychedelic rock and jazz and transforming it into a unique fusion, their sound is chilled out and harmonic on the ear, but upbeat enough to get up and groove to.

The Watusi, formally known in the glory days of my first year as Tupelo, has finally come into its own as The Apollo Association brought the place alive. The bar staff looked happy with the full bar and an animated dance floor, teeming with long-time fans and newcomers alike.

What the band lacked in experience, they made up for in skill and energy, conducting a tight performance. They opened with a slightly downbeat track, and as the band warmed up so did the dance floor. After wooing the crowd for an hour and a half, an encore was demanded by the enthusiastic gathering, which was delivered with a full final gusto.

The Apollo Association put on a credible performance, convincing Watusi to book them back again. With upcoming slots at Happy and other local hotspots, there are plenty of opportunities to check out this new talent who have the potential to progress to great new heights.

The Apollo Association
Thursday 14th May
The Watusi, Wellington

1. Matt W says:

awkward! good stuff boys, will have to catch you next time!

2. Julia Herbert says:

Way to go! Best new band I’ve heard in ages.

1. Vic Books Hacked; Bitcoin Demanded
  2. The Pity and Pleasure of a Shit Asian
  3. Plait My Pits
  5. South Africa Moves to Confiscate White Owned Land
  6. Young Nats Interpret “No” as a Violation of Their Human Rights
  7. House Fire Started and Extinguished by Local Boy
  8. Eyes Turn to Lebanon
  9. Getting to Know Grant Guilford
  10. PGSA: Postgrad Informer