Vice-President’s Column

Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association (VUWSA) draws its strength from the collective student body at Victoria. VUWSA exists to ensure that our time at University is both academically and socially rewarding, equitable, and that we as VUWSA members have access to relevant support, services and representation.

VUWSA is more than the thirteen elected Executive members elected each September and written about each week in Salient. VUWSA is strong when the student body is strong. VUWSA has student representatives on nearly every university committee and board. Each year hundreds of students volunteer their time ranging from being a Class Rep to serving on Academic Boards and the University Council.

Think we missed something or don’t like a position VUWSA has taken on an issue? Come to the weekly Student Representative Council (SRC) meetings at 1pm in Mount Street Bar. This is your chance to directly influence its policy and direction. Motions passed at SRC meetings become VUWSA policy and mandate the Executive in their decision-making. Past motions have focussed on the war in Iraq, international student fees, abortion, minority rights and wider education issues facing Victoria University.

Things such as Students as Workers Week, Women’s Week, various campaigns and positions on national issues such as the drinking purchase age are based on SRC policy. VUWSA is a democratic organisation and is at it best when you have you say. Come to a SRC, Annual General Meeting or stand and vote in the VUWSA elections.

The VUWSA Food Bank is one of the most visible services we provide and one of the most important things I look after. If you ever find yourself short of money one week, get a massive power or internet bill or other unexpected costs and your cupboards are empty, come to any of the VUWSA offices between 12 and 2pm and pick up a food parcel. Come have a chat with either me or another trained Executive member and fill in a form, and then grab a food bank. You’ll get some pasta, noodles, baked beans, spaghetti, creamed corn, weetbix, rice, sugar, fruit salad, and toiletries.

Another wonderful service is the VUWSA Campus Angels. They are students who are available to walk you home, to the bus stop, taxi stand or safety point within a reasonable distance from the Kelburn or Pipitea campus. They are based on level two of the Kelburn Library and in the Law Library from 7.30pm to when the library closes. They are super friendly and want to keep you safe when you walk home!

VUWSA is yours. Get the most out it. You will never get these services from the University.

1. Batoman says:

Swoon Seamus. Swoon. Your prose set me on fire. I’m carnal. Ugh.

2. Kerry says:

Yay for welfare. You rock.
    What would starving students in cold, hovelly welli flats do without the foodbank, and the friendly help VUWSA welfare exec members give out, frequently for very little thanks?
    So here’s mine – thanks, Seamus ;-)