June 2, 2009 | by  | in News |

Auckland students to vote on leaving NZUSA

Auckland University students voted last Wednesday to hold a referendum on whether their student association, AUSA, should remain part of the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA).

The motion, which passed by a vote of 60–20, was tabled by AUSA Student Representative Council Chair Oliver Woods.
Woods said the $36,000 fee AUSA paid to NZUSA could be better spent on things that directly affected Auckland students.

“I think the referendum is great to hear the voice of students,” Woods said.

AUSA Administrative VP Joe McCory spoke against the referendum, noting NZUSA’s track record of student advocacy.
McCory took umbrage with the rushed nature of the motion, saying it had not even been discussed at the weekly Exec meeting two days earlier.

“It was an ambush, in my opinion,” McCory said.

AUSA President Darcy Peacock abstained from voting, explaining later that he felt personal politics were being inflected through the motion.

A number of students spoken to by Craccum voted for the motion as they felt it would lend them opportunity to air their opinions.

Craccum understands that even if AUSA does vote to leave NZUSA, it would be required to give one year’s notice of its withdrawal.

After the NZUSA referendum question was settled, debate moved on to whether or not Melissa Lee was a racist. This time the crowd voted overwhelming against the motion. At least students are consistent in their inconsistency.

1