June 3, 2009 | by  | in News Online Only |

Bobby’s Brilliant Bye Bye Backfires

Two petitions of no confidence in different exec members were presented at VUWSA’s exec meeting tonight.

The first one was the culmination of last week’s failed attempt by Bobby (Robert Latimer) and co. It reads:

“We the undersigned request that a Special General Meeting be held to consider the following motion:

‘That this meeting call for Jasmine Freemantle to resign as President of VUWSA’

The second was presented to EVP Freya Eng by David Adams, and reads:

“That we the undersigned call for a Special General Meeting of VUWSA to move a motion of no confidence in Robert Latimer as a member of the VUWSA Executive.”

Both petitions were signed by the required 10 students and both are constitutionally viable.

The exec has accepted both petitions and a Special General Meeting to discuss the motions is to be held at 1 pm on 15 July in the Mt Street Bar.

A quorum of 100 students at a Special General Meeting (SGM) will be needed for the motions to be discussed and voted on. Two-thirds of those voting need to be in favour for a vote to carry.

Update

Salient can reveal that Bobby voted against the motion to hold an SGM.

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. Mr. Bear's Shadow says:

I believe the correct description is “Clusterfuck”.

2. Hank Scorpio says:

Clusterfuck in the Key of G

“G” for “GODDAMN, I HOPE THEY GET RID OF LATIMER.”

3. Superior Mind says:

Turnabout is fair play after all.

What a waste of time though.

4. Happy says:

Politics without Latimer? … and with that went student apathy.

5. Jeff M says:

Its little wonder students have nothing but apathy for the student Union. Elections are held once a year, that should be the proper forum for passing votes of no confidence. Spurious accusations against jasmine seem less about her ability to do her job and more about Latimer’s inability to do his.

Lets face facts here people jasmine is not a corrupt individual and from all outward appearances shes making a decent go of fixing other peoples fuck ups. We should have the decency to give her a full year before casting judgment. We gave big Cos the opportunity, i bulk at suggestions shes worse than him.

Admittedly i have not attended any vuwsa exec meetings (like the other 99.9% of students), however if Latimer wants to be taken seriously how about he proves himself as a capable leader in his own role before he starts throwing his toys out of the cot. Oh yeah that’s right, didn’t he lose confidential student data. What self respecting student only has one copy of a file anyway?

Freyas article hits the nail on the head – http://www.salient.org.nz/columns/petty-politics-is-not-how-we-roll – bunch of fucking muppets.

6. Sabby says:

Its not Robert that wanted to roll Jasmine…from my understanding a student came to him with their concerns. Robert had to tell them what their rights are, he was simply doing his job as you all claim he doesn’t. So the roll freemantle crap came from the students not Robert. The roll Latimer however is obviously an in house decision…if it’s not I’m happy to take that back.

Yes a bag was lost, quite possibly stolen; but it was not Roberts fault, it was a break down in VUWSA policy that allowed it to leave the building in the first place, you cannot simply blame him for the full mistake. It is unfortunate that the bag is gone, but seriously I think it has never been found given that the rest of Roberts personal belongings, such as his laptop and attachments, were in the bag also.

Has anyone asked Robert how he is doing with his studies since losing all of his books and notes? The answer is quite honestly shit whilst he deals with crap from VUWSA, crap from students and crap from lecturers. What would have been nice and student like of all of us, would have been to say ‘shit you really made a big mistake, but can I help you out at all so you dont FAIL every single course this trimester’ I know I did, but did you?!

One final bone I have to pick, did anyone see the odd $14K that has been spent to date on legal fees – I would like a break down of how they have managed to spend so much (over the budget of 10K) this early in the year. I’m most concerned that a large amount has been spent on chasing a measly couple of grand from Cosgrove; in that sense I vote no confidence for Jasmine.

Simply this political game has gotten out of hand and become far too personal.. I agree that Jasmine derserves a full year, but she needs to start being open with what is happening in that office (specifically her closed doors) – VUWSA needs transparency; and in saying this, Robert deserves a full year also.

7. Jono West says:

‘Yes a bag was lost, quite possibly stolen; but it was not Roberts fault, it was a break down in VUWSA policy that allowed it to leave the building in the first place, you cannot simply blame him for the full mistake.’

VUWSA POLICY, chapter 26, section 47, para 3, line 18 states: Use your nouse when you have not only expensive but irreplaceable and confidential data.

There shouldn’t have to be a policy which states: Don’t leaving VUWSA property lying around in compromising places.

‘It is unfortunate that the bag is gone, but seriously I think it has never been found given that the rest of Roberts personal belongings, such as his laptop and attachments, were in the bag also.’

It is unfortunate. For all those people whose information was lost. For all the people who contribute products to the foodbank and to students. Why? BEcause the universtiy is seriously considering taking away their funding of the service because of this mishap.

Boo effing whooo robert lost his stuff. If you leave your property lying around then it is primarily your fault. If he had thought for two seconds and hadn’t left it lying around it wouldn’t have been nicked.

‘Its not Robert that wanted to roll Jasmine…from my understanding a student came to him with their concerns. Robert had to tell them what their rights are, he was simply doing his job as you all claim he doesn’t. ‘

THis would explain why the messed it up the first time. But it doesn’t explain why all the people are roberts friends. No one is claiming that he isn’t doing his job, oh wait. Let us read his work reports. A series of bullet points.

Tue 17th February to Fri 20 February 2009
    ‘Talked to Seann about his office set up – new desk in his office.’
    Yeaaaaah that is real productive.

Tue 15th March to 23th March 2009
    ‘Talked to students about ideas for events and explaining about VUWSA welfare services.’
    Doesn’t bother to mention what the ideas are or exactly who he talked to.

Tuesday 3rd – Tuesday 10th February 2009
    ‘Database finishing touches – fixing up issues that friend found.’
    Too bad we’ll never get to see this, and OH wait, what the… why is his friend looking at confidential food bank data! !!

There is also a very disturbing recurring theme if you look at all the action points: he never enters the food bank data. Maybe we shouldn’t be worried about the data being lost in electronic form…

Put simply his work reports are pathetic. The bullet points are wide and all encompasing and half of them could have been him sitting at the bar talking to his pals.

‘Simply this political game has gotten out of hand and become far too personal.’
    They should both resign. this is pathetic. I don’t want these people fucking with my money. I would rather my $133 back. That is one weeks rent. Two weeks food. A bio text book. 100 bus rides to uni. 1/6th of a course.
    Its two million dollars a year we let these dummies play with. Instead of being spent on stuff that helps students $14k has been spent on lawyers. Holy shit. That is over the annual wage of a student working part time while studying.

8. hank scorpio says:

“Has anyone asked Robert how he is doing with his studies since losing all of his books and notes? The answer is quite honestly shit whilst he deals with crap from VUWSA, crap from students and crap from lecturers. What would have been nice and student like of all of us, would have been to say ’shit you really made a big mistake, but can I help you out at all so you dont FAIL every single course this trimester’ I know I did, but did you?!”

OH MY HOLY FUCK, ROBERT LATIMER HAS PROBLEMS?! You mean, like, every other human being alive? Robert Latimer, Education Welfare Officer, has shit going on?!

Don’t patronise us. We’ve all got our troubles.

9. Jackson Wood says:

Update

Salient can also reveal that Robert voted against the motion to hold an SGM.

10. Hank Scorpio says:

Ahahaha. Bobby, I don’t think you realise just how much of an embarrassment you are.

11. mossdale scoty says:

I can’t help but wonder where the Salient reporter was when this week’s exec meeting took place and the above two motions were tabled? From what I hear there was no-one from Salient at the meeting.

12. hank scorpio says:

probably studying/writing essays/worrying about something far more important

13. Cohen says:

Lol voting against a motion that resulted from students calling for a general meeting to moved a motion of no confidence in him. That’s real transparent and accountable.

14. Cohen says:

Lol voting against a motion that resulted from students calling for a general meeting to move a motion of no confidence in him. That’s real transparent and accountable.

15. El Legarto says:

It is certainly transparent my friend!

16. Cack says:

THis guy and the other workers party people who are resigning are such a waste of time and money.

17. towradgi says:

roll bobby.

18. Mr. R says:

yeah, having met robert a few times, he seems like a very strange, silly man in all honesty and one not suited to this position.

19. Jeebus says:

Voting against an SGM where you might get rolled. Spineless!

20. towradgi says:

pretty pathetic

21. Andrew Jameson says:

He said on the VBC that he voted against accepting the petition because he didn’t think there would be enough time for students to get their heads around the whole situation

on behalf of my intelligence and everyone else’s, fuck you latimer, you patronising cunt. I hope like hell you get rolled.

1