June 2, 2009 | by  | in News |

Latimer: That’s how I roll… Freemantle (News version)

VUWSA Education Welfare Officer Robert Latimer has successfully gathered enough signatures to table a motion of no confidence against President Jasmine Freemantle.

It is the second petition presented by Latimer, after the first was dismissed for being unconstitutional.

VUWSA Vice President of Administration Alex Neilson explained that the original motion could not be put forward as it was incorrectly worded.

A quorum of 100 students at a Special General Meeting (SGM) will be needed for the corrected motion to be moved. Two-thirds of those voting need to be in favour for it to carry.

Tensions between Latimer and Freemantle have been high in recent weeks after it was revealed the Education Welfare Officer lost a laptop containing VUWSA’s Food Bank database.

Despite this tension, Latimer insisted his desire to see Freemantle rolled is not inflected by personal animosity, rather a duty to follow through with a student request.

He took umbrage with the way Freemantle conducted herself professionally, citing a perceived lack of professionalism in her dealings with the Exec and VUWSA staff.

“She is not personal, she is very brooding. I expected more openness from her,” Latimer said.

Despite a confidence motion hanging over her, Freemantle was confident in her work as president thus far, and was committed to seeing through her term.

She was equally assured in her working relationship with members of the Exec, prioritising a strong work and team ethic among a desire for strong accountability.

“There are some instances where individuals have chosen to opt [out] of this, which is most disappointing,” Freemantle said.

The last VUWSA exec member to have a motion of no-confidence moved against them was Scott Trainor in 2004, which he survived by a slim margin.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.