June 2, 2009 | by  | in Games Theatre |

Tampom pom: Diane Spencer @ Happy

theatre

Diane Spencer is a lady. I verified this in the way that you usually do—through asking and being given a baffled look of incomprehension. On stage she was a little British hornet of darkness packed into a tight redheadedness that complemented her lovely grey jeans, recently acquired in a Wellingtonian store. If you’ve ever read Grant Buist’s Brunswick or Jitterati, you’d see much of Fitz Bunny in her. If you haven’t, well, learning city-specific pop-cultural references are an important part of being at Victoria University. Oh look! A fountain made of buckets! How refereshing!

I greatly enjoyed watching Diane as she orated through her mother, weddings, and other chick stuff like talking binge drinking tampons without it grating on my delicate sensibilities. She had a story that was about her becoming the red-headed yoghurt girl on the telly. This was quick, and many comic moments were had in the over-arching amusement which both vilified and agrandised Ms Spencer in that order. Why am I describing how this bit worked? No reason.

If you ever wished Sarah Silverman was smarter and from Somerset, go see Diane Spencer.

Nic Sando is a god amongst men, fifteen fathoms high he be, with strange and wyrd powers at his disposal. Only a fool won't harken his ears to the east when he hears The Sando man stumping his way. http://thesando.com

1. Wow, I am utterly delighted. Thank you Nic, for coming to see me!

1. Women
  2. Sick as Poetry
  3. You are not alone
  4. Being Non-Binary
  5. Notes About My Father
  6. Finishing in White
  7. Te Puni maintenance portal turns into giant black hole
  8. People noticed Re-OWeek this year
  9. NZIFF hits Wellington
  10. Nicola Young “gets stuff done”—Election coverage part II
bird-1

Hera Lindsay Bird

: It’s subversive, wry, and more than a little bit vulgar—in short, the things that make modern poetry fresh and exciting.