July 29, 2009 | by  | in News Online Only |

Ballot box bungle

The VUWSA by-election may or may not be invalid, and may or may not be called off after VUWSA fucked up the voting forms.

There are two different ballot papers being offered to voters in the VUWSA by-election.

The online ballot form allows you to vote No Confidence in every instance.

The paper ballots, which were available in the quad, had No Confidence available for Environmental Officer and International Officer positions.

This has added more fuel to the fire reported on by Salient yesterday that the election was unconstitutional because of No Confidence’s inclusion on the electronic ballot.

The Returning Officer Mark Maguire confirmed to Salient that he had received the first complaint from Peter McCaffery and had passed it on to the election committee.

When asked about there being two separate ballots and whether this was unconstitutional, Maguire said if a complaint was made it too would also be passed onto the election committee and that he guessed “it would come down to the number of votes.”

Freemantle again refused to speak to Salient, saying it was “not her place” to comment.

Chair of the election committee Jeremy Greenbrook-Held refused to comment saying only, “The Election committee is dealing with these issues at the moment.”

Salient banged its head against a desk in the office, weeping and muttering that at 71 years old, it “shouldn’t have to put up with this shit”.

At time of press, Salient was waiting for clarification on whether VUWSA’s treatment of the septuagenarian publication constituted elder abuse.

No Confidence was unable to be contacted at the time of press, although her voicemail expressed the utmost confidence in her imminent victory.

Fans of No Confidence can sign up to her Facebook Fan page here.

Below is a copy of the paper ballot which can be compared to yesterday’s here.

NOMZ

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. peteremcc says:

lol, so they’re going to decide whether the election is valid based on how close the result is?

hilarity!

2. David Farrar says:

You can not have two separate ballot papers – one with and one without no confidence. It means all voters are not equal depending on the method they use.

Elections can be valid despite minor ir-regularities but this is major. Also the Returning Officer should really be sacked – this is the most basic thing to check for.

3. Nasus says:

Let the games begin.

4. Mark Winter says:

I believe the returning officer for this election is the new Association Manager, correct? The guy who’s on $80-$90K a year, right?

5. Yes, Returning Officer Mark Maguire is also VUWSA’s new Association Manager.

6. David Farrar says:

Just to clarify me remarks were aimed at the role of returning officer, not any wider role. If he is new that might explain things, but I would expect someone with experience to be involved to check such basic stuff.

7. Jeeves says:

He is new. Been in the job around three weeks.

8. crp says:

peter mccaffrey is hilarity. i hope his self righteousness makes him feel good about himself.

9. the naki says:

we always knew you liked the cock jackson

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy