Chalk the Walk protest busts the busty busway

Wellington City Councilors have voted to allow a proposal to open up Manners Mall to buses and extend Cuba Mall to Wakefield Street.

The plan is designed to improve bus ser-vices and create better pedestrian links, but not everyone is in agreement with the plan.

Residents’ submissions to the council showed 74% opposition to the proposal, contrasting sharply with an AC Nielsen survey which showed that of 500 people surveyed, two thirds supported the plan. The ‘Save Manners Mall’ group on Facebook has 4631 members.

On Tuesday 21 July, a ‘Chalk the Walk’ protest was held, where the public were invited to Manners Mall to write messages to the City Council in chalk.

Chalk the Walk organiser Benjamin Easton says he intends to file for a judicial review of the decision in the High Court on the 27th. He suggests the Council have made an error on how they went about the consultative processes.

“They went too fast. They plan now to run a special procedure that should have been run before they made the decision,” Easton said.

If Easton’s appeal to the High Court is unsuccessful, the changes to Manners Mall and lower Cuba Street are expected to begin mid-2010.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing
Kowloon

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.