Delicious VUWSA Nom, Nom, Nominations Open

Nominations have opened for five positions on VUWSA’s Executive left vacant by a scurry of resignations last trimester.

The positions of Vice-President (Administration), Activities Officer, Women’s Rights Officer, International Students Officer, and Environmental Officer are all up for grabs in a special by-election.

Former VP Alexander Neilson resigned to pursue studies in Auckland, while former Environmental Officer Georgina Hart resigned due to pregnancy.

International Students Officer Nana Wu offered her resignation late last week after failing to maintain contact with the association for a month. Salient understands this is because Wu did not check her emails during that time.

VUWSA President Jasmine Freemantle has incorporated the five vacant roles into her current portfolio and will perform their duties until after the by-election.

The other resignations cited unhappiness with the way Freemantle had conducted herself over the course of her presidency.

Former Women’s Rights Officer Kassie Hartendorp attributed her inability to fulfil her role to Freemantle’s “bullying” influence and “intimidating” demeanour.

“Jasmine acts in a bullying and intimidating manner and I consider this behaviour and the environment that it fosters to be completely unacceptable,” Hartendorp wrote.

Hartendorp was also upset with the exec’s decision not to condemn the university’s disenrollment of three students for their involvement in a flag burning incident last trimester. This was despite VUWSA’s constitutional inability to interfere with the process.

In a deadlocked vote, Freemantle cast the deciding ballot against supporting the disenrolled students.

Salient understands that Freemantle’s falling out with members of Wellington’s chapter of the Worker’s Party was the impetus for the resignation of former Activities Officer Marika Pratley.

Despite the criticisms of some, Freemantle insists she still enjoys a professional and cordial relationship with the VUWSA Exec.

Nomination forms for the by-election can be picked up from VUWSA’s Kelburn Campus office on the bottom floor of the Student Union Building.

Nominations close on 17 July, with polling to be held between July 27 and 29.

Potential nominees and all other interested folk can find more details by emailing returning.officer@vuwsa.org.nz.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. toils says:

‘VUWSA President Jasmine Freemantle has incorporated the five vacant roles into her current portfolio and will perform their duties until after the by-election.’

So now she will be working 170 hours+ a week instead of 120+ hours a week, what is she trying to prove and who is she trying to fool?

2. CRP says:

she doesn’t have a choice, idiot. who else can do it?

3. mama waz a ho says:

“what is she trying to prove and who is she trying to fool?”

how does it feel to be so dumb

4. mama waz a ho says:

bring back big alex neilshonsh