Hail to the Brief

The Future is Now
The Kelburn campus’ Adam Art Gallery has invited nine New Zealand artists, designers and writers to produce work showcasing their response to the current socio-political climate.

Using both online and real spaces, the artists have been asked to speculate about the future in context of today’s realities.

Exhibition curator Laura Preston said the exhibition will act as a series of propositions for embracing this time of uncertainty.

A piece by Wellington artist Peter Trevelyan showcasing 20,000 0.5 milimetre mechanical pencil leads will be one of the featured pieces.

“The Future is Unwritten” exhibition will run from 11 July to 30 August.

Hugh Price’s Huge Price
Australasian publisher Hugh Price will be presented with an honorary Doctorate of Literature from Victoria University for his achievements in publishing and in the world of New Zealand literature.

Price has enjoyed a storied career over the past few decades, publishing the works of many New Zealand authors, and founding Price Milburn Publishers Limited in 1957.

Price also helped establish Victoria University Press, and was the foundation manager of Sydney University Press in the 1960s.

He was also appointed a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit in this year’s New Year’s Honours.

Victoria University Vice Chancellor Professor Pat Walsh says Price is thoroughly deserving of the accolade, having played an outstanding role in publishing academic and scholarly work in New Zealand.

Global warming? Guess what—it’s cold outside. Smirk.
Victoria University is one of three New Zealand organisations to sign an agreement expanding research on Antarctica’s past climate and its influence on planet Earth.

The agreement, signed under the auspices of the Joint Antarctic Research Institute, brings together researchers from Victoria, GNS Science and the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA) to study the southern continent.

Founding Director of NIWA, Professor Peter Barrett of Victoria University, said the institute would be able to ramp up its Antarctic research.

“NIWA’s inclusion provides a leading capability in climate and ocean modelling that can be applied to the Antarctic region,” Barrett says.

My God—it’s full of stars!
A Victoria University astrophysicist has been awarded a postdoctoral fellowship from the Foundation of Research, Science and Technology to study planets beyond the solar system.

Dr. Pauline Harris will spend the next three years canvassing deep space for undiscovered planets and compiling an inventory of Maori star lore, as part of the Foundation’s Te Tipu Putaiao fund.

Harris says the “planet hunting” aspect of her research will involve using a technique called gravitational microlensing, using stars as naturally occurring lenses to search for interstellar planets.

The second part of the project involves collating and documenting Maori star lore—Tatai Arorangi—including their relations to the Moon, the planets, and comets.

Knowledge of these celestial bodies aided early Maori to navigate and measure time, Dr Harris notes.

She hopes that by making this knowledge widely available, it will become living knowledge that won’t be lost.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1