July 20, 2009 | by  | in Theatre |

Heidi and Rose’s Guide to the Uncool, and Rhys Mathewson’s Best $18 You’ll Ever Spend.

theatre

Heidi and Rose are two girls­—no, two young women! And they are a very capable double team—well quadruple team, with their supporting fellows, but what ev’s. According to Rose Matafeo’s Twitter, their show on Thursday was “the worst show of my life” which blows, because first of all, it was my birthday that night, and secondly it was actually rather enjoyable. It seemed they were struggling for energy in the middle of their show, and sure the room was small, and some of the bits that they were presenting were encountered by myself in sitcoms during the ninteen ninties, but threaded through that were neat little things including metatextual infighting, which is something that is uncool that they made rather pallatable. The team that they had assembled managed to lump together the genres of musical comedy, stilted nerd delivery and double team antics, and it worked well, almost like good devised theatre… a little everywhere, but with a likable core. So, I mostly liked it, and would really like to see more of them down here. Though considering how loved the two are in Auckland, they might decide not to bother. Uncool potential future Rose and Heidi, uncool.

MICRO REVIEW
The night was a double header, as Rhys Mathewson was also there. If you don’t know of him, he’s an 18-year-old white kid with a giant afro—no, forehead, and some of the sharpest comedy I’ve seen a teen produce. The show’s main problem was that it was part of a double billing for 15 dollars, so it’s entire fucking premise was negated. However his stories were somewhat passionate, amusing and mildy rambly. I’m running out of space, but he was a kicking stand up, and though the show wandered a bit, next time you see him he’ll be just a stand up, you will do well to see him. as soon as possible, he won’t age prettily, though will still probably be quite amusing.

July 9th @ Fringe Bar.

Nic Sando is a god amongst men, fifteen fathoms high he be, with strange and wyrd powers at his disposal. Only a fool won't harken his ears to the east when he hears The Sando man stumping his way. http://thesando.com

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June