July 30, 2009 | by  | in News Online Only |

Minimal Malfeasance

A statement released by the VUWSA Election committee today says the mistake on the online ballots had “minimal” influence on the by-election. Almost as minimal as the number of people who turned out to vote.

The committee acknowledged the mishaps reported on by Salient here and here were “not strictly in accordance with the VUWSA constitution”, but the results stand.

The Committee claim the error was made by the external entity which hosts the election. Salient could not reach the company responsible at time of posting.

Returning Officer Mark Maguire was unable to be contacted at the time of press.

Watch here and in the print copy of Salient on Monday for updates.

Full statement below:

Statement regarding July 2009 By-election.

The election committee has considered two complaints about the inclusion of No Confidence as an option where multiple candidates were standing for election. This was not strictly in accordance with the VUWSA constitution.

The election committee has noted that this has happened in past by-elections, with minimal impact. Subsequently, the election committee is of the opinion that the influence on this by-election is minimal, and the results stand.

The error was made by an external entity which VUWSA engages to conduct online voting. All paper ballots – which were generated by the returning officer – were correct. The election committee has instructed the returning officer to ensure that this does not happen for future elections.

Jeremy Greenbrook-Held, Amanda Hill, and Karen Price

VUWSA Election Committee

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. peteremcc says:

Can you publish the full statement please Jackson?

2. Anonymous says:

I guess the executive’s preferred candidates won so therefore the results stand.
    Ain’t “democracy” great!

3. Rocco says:

Yeah, its all a conspiracy by the man.

4. Mark says:

Headline is wrong as well isn’t it? Malfeasance isn’t really appropriate for this. It just seems like a cock up.

5. Shitkicker McGee says:

Mark fail.

6. Mark says:

How come? What did I miss?

7. goku_karori_28 says:

the boat to winsville. smirk.

8. Mark says:

I just think that if you are saying there is ‘minimal’ then that means there was some. In this instance there was no malfeasance at all. Just a cockup that had minimal influence.

9. Alpha Weapon says:

Shut up goku_karori_28, you really piss me off. Karori is a terrible suburb, I watched Dragon Ball Z when I was 10, and I don’t care if things make you smirk.

10. goku_karori_28 says:

====incoming pwnage=====

welcome to the danger zone, gohansan, heh

i dont know if you know this (the rss feed has been down on vegetafighter/forum) but im a pretty big deal. people often stand back from my flame thrower, heh. dont wanna get burned do you

alpha weapon? like seru? heh. what happened to seru? he was sent to another dimension by ssj2 gohan-son

i’ve got a kamehameha with your name on it bub

try me

just try this super sayan

smirk

=====pwnage over=======

11. 'THE' -one and only- Brentmeister Fucking General says:

Finchyyyyyyy!!!!!

Me: lager. Finchy: lager. Gareth: lager, sometimes cider. So… different needs, yeah?

This young lady… oooh. Bit saucey, selling kisses. For the lads.

Or the ladies. If there are any ladies who are into that sort – I don’t think there are any in this office… and if there are, good luck to them, they’re all welcome…. we’re all equal now, it’s different for girls, it’s more lighthearted.

12. Gareth says:

More erotic.

13. MC Chris says:

I’ll wait to the day’s end when the moon is high
    And then I’ll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I’ll
    Amass an army, and we’ll harness a horde
    And then we’ll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

14. Alpha Weapon says:

======message to goku_karori_28======

Seru is a town in southeastern Ethiopia. Located in the Arsi Zone of the Oromia Region, this town has a latitude and longitude of 07°40′N 40°12′E / 7.667°N 40.2°E / 7.667; 40.2 with an elevation of 2302 meters above sea level. It is the administrative center of Seru woreda.

That’s what happened to Seru. And you’re about to get a boot up your ass.

======/message to goku_karori_28======

15. Owlzy says:

@Gokes_kayRay, lol that guy just used wikimedia upwns u. Does he not realise that dramatica is the only acceptable encylcopedia in these parts?