July 31, 2009 | by  | in Online Only |

Something big has arrived: Salient announces Lundy 500

After months of largely-ignored viral marketing and subtle in-jokes, Salient is launching the Lundy 500.

The event, in a similar vein to the defunct Undie 500, invites teams of vehicles to travel from Petone to Palmerston North as convicted double murderer Mark Lundy did in 2000, before murdering wife Christine and daughter Amber, according to the prosecution at his 2002 trial.

Police said Lundy drove from a motel room in Petone to Palmerston North in 68 minutes in order to commit the murders. As a test of the evidence, police found themselves unable to re-create the driving time.

Other investigators, and some Lundy supporters, say this commute time was based on stomach contents testing showing Christine and Amber were murdered about 7pm on August 29.

That evidence has been disputed by a number of pathologists as an inaccurate way of determining time of death. Lundy is understood to be working on an appeal against his sentence, and Salient is taking the opportunity to test the crucial piece of timing evidence.

Salient editor Jackson Wood explained that the event was designed to draw attention to some of the inconsistencies in the New Zealand legal system.

“We’re not encouraging people to break the law; we’re encouraging people to think critically about the justice system and the quality of the justice delivered in New Zealand,” he said.

Wood said Salient held no official opinion on Lundy’s guilt, and that the Lundy 500 was incidental to a wider discussion of issues surrounding the judicial system.

Participants would be required to sign a contract saying they would not break the law or the University’s student code of conduct during the event.

The Lundy 500 is scheduled to take place at high noon on Saturday, August 29—the eighth anniversary of the murders.

Salient would like to invite contestants or sign up at 4 PM Thursday 6 August in the Salient Office, Level 2, Student Union Building, Kelburn Campus, Victoria University of Wellington. Beer and small nibbles will be provided.

All enquiries can be directed to this email.

1. Gibbon says:

Yeah, I guessed as much.
    Ridiculous that you have to sign a contract saying you won’t break the law, when it must be impossible to from travel from point A and point B without breaking the law.

2. Shea Peterson says:

Well done!!!
    A) Our justice system is a joke a needs true exposure

B)So bloody funny!!!!

Well Done Guys keep up the good work

Kia ora MJO Kia Ora

3. Mark says:

I think therein lies the point, Gib. You *can’t* do it without breaking the law, but that’s obviously part of the ridiculousness of it.

it’s audacious enuogh to draw mainstream media attention, and it highlights an important issue – which if salient’s content this year is anything to go by, it’ll be covered well. it’s kinda brilliant.

and heym it makes craccum’s porn issue look like fucking garbage.

4. Mark says:

that should say “hey” but i was typing too… dare i say… *fast*

5. Natalie Burton says:

This is pretty disgusting, but it’s got to be a stunt. Salient wouldn’t risk losing advertisers and readers so easily.

6. Shitkicker McGee says:

Natalie Burton = pseudonym for Palmerston North mayor Jono Naylor

7. Margaret says:

A woman and her child were brutally murdered. How can you be so totally crass as to even suggest such an event on the anniversary of their deaths?
    There are other avenues to protest about aspects of the justice system you disagree with.

8. James says:

I think it’s a really good idea. Better than NZUSA standing on the steps of Parliament whinging about student allowances. This protest actually gets coverage.

Margaret: A woman and child were brutally murdered, and a man was put behind bars on shit evidence. Think about that.

9. Jeff says:

Kia Ora Mr Wood, Kia Ora.

10. Puah Rakovsky says:

I dont get it. are people supposed to try and drive it in under 68 minutes? or do they just chill out

11. Gibbon says:

I don’t get it. What are you protesting? I just saw the thing on stuff, and you claim to be making a statement about the legal system? What statement? What are you trying to say? What can you possibly prove with this stunt?

12. Andrew Martin says:

Gotta be a media stunt.

13. Alpha Weapon says:

Subtle hints over the past year much? Lundy has featured on the cover of most Raglients this year; there’s a poll about something “big” (overweight) coming “fast” (Petone to Palmerston North in 68 minutes); and even a link to a Blogger page containing many a Lundy joke (actually I don’t know how I found this page, so I can’t again, but I found it alright).

I heartily endorse this product and/or event.

14. Mark (2) says:

You guys going to do a big story on Lundy? Or the NZ legal system in general? Or is this just to get headlines? It’s working if that’s the case. Alternatively what are the wider issues of the justice system you guys feel need to be covered? Look forward to reading about them. But I’m picking you won’t go anywhere with this other than just cut and pasting from the Lundites web pages.

15. Mark 'L' says:

Oh you guys!

I bet if ya went at 150km an hour you couldn’t match Mr Lundy’s time.

By the way, not a bad looking fella that Lundy, eh?

:)

stay safe on those roads.

Mark

16. MC Chris says:

student mag announces a couple of cars are heading to palmy for the weekend and the mainstream media shits itself

this would be the same mainstream media that had a hard on whenever clayton weatherston took the stand (“oooh isn’t this guy awful, so terrible, click here to download weatherston’s testimony in HD”) and positively jizzed itself when david bain made bail (despite still being, you know, charged with murdering five people at the time)

if nothing else this stunt’s proving what a bunch of hypocritical cunts this country’s lazy, good for nothing, news media are. doesn’t make this any less distasteful of course, but stop acting all pious you fags.

17. A.J. says:

Exceptionally bad taste. As we are friends of the victims family we know the pain and suffering that this has caused to them let alone the health problems they are now facing as a result. It might sound like a great idea to you but put yourself in their shoes. You can’t choose your family or have any influence on what they ultimately do so why should other people bring up the fact over and over again..?
    That is what this event is doing. Hope this sort of situation never falls upon any of you who support it. If you do support it…think about the two people who lost their lives…

18. godfrey dodd says:

Once again like a minority of university students you lack breeding and understanding ,
    This is perhaps you do not understand loss of a family member or have had a too privilidged life style
    Maturity and a taste of real life may help you, I hope so.

19. Cancerman says:

As with all cases there is always sh*t going on in the background…. Like a speed camera ticket taken at tawa turn-off of the lundyrocket heading towards P north! Apparently unable to be used as evidence in some ridiculous technicality… Conspiracy? without it the case looks impossible – with it, solid. Anyway google it, search it do whatever you like but whatever you do … make it click:)

20. gcoll says:

Thoughtless protest!

I have no problems with making your point about the legal system or whatever you wish to protest about but to do it in a manner that clearly offends the victims of this crime is completely inconsiderate to the point of being absolutely disgusting!

To those that think this is “funny” well frankly that is simply immature.

Have a thought for the families of the victims. Have you never lost a loved one? Probably not in the way it happened here.

A sad state of affairs from a group that clearly disregards the people and pain that something like this will cause just to make a point about your problems with the legal system.

21. uh says:

trying to justify this as an attempt to encourage “people to think critically about the justice system” is complete bullshit! it’s just an insensitive cry for attention based on a stupid in joke..

22. Chad says:

trying to find a car under 500 with a wof and reg not as easy as i thought

23. Marco says:

Yay, more idiots on the road. Well done Salient!

24. Polo says:

Marco! I’ve been looking for you my whole life!

25. Wazdakka says:

What the hell is wrong with you people? I just saw you idiots on the news. Yet again a small bunch of losers with nothing better to do is making the rest of us look stupid. Do you not have a clue about how ridiculous and moronic this makes you look. Whatever you’re trying to protest, try something else. If you think your awful little ragazine is provocative or clever, think again.

26. shameonsalient says:

Oh dear you guys really are dropkicks… It irks me to no end that my fees are contributing to your endless editorial drivel and now this shameless publicity stunt. Youre like a pack of angst ridden 13 year old emo’s tryin to fill the void between my chemical romance albums by finding a ‘worthy (but uber-edgy)’ cause.
    dorks.

27. Carters says:

So students can afford speeding tickets and fuel to burn? In that case we can increase fees and know students will afford it.

28. Ralph says:

Did you read the story? You can find it at http://www.missedthepoint.com

29. Adam says:

All those on your shaky little moral high horses –

You say we should be thinking about Christine and Amber. You scream in your shrill voices that this is irresponsible, inhuman, and you call us all the names under the sun for doing it and supporting it.

But let’s look at it this way.

Two people died. These two people deserved justice. Instead, the police put together a piss-poor package of evidence based on dubious scientific methods, statistical anomalies and implausible happenings, and they sold it to a jury out looking for anyone to call guilty. In the search for justice, corners were cut. So many corners were cut. And now a man sits behind bars for a crime he may or may not have committed. But whether he committed it isn’t necessarily the point – the point is that he lost his freedom based on evidence that would’ve been laughed off by a jury in any other jurisdiction. The police did shit all to try and solve Christine and Amber’s death in a satisfactory fashion, and that’s not justice for them.

So you scream at us, call us irresponsible. But where’s the irresponsibility here, other than what this event is drawing some much needed attention to? Because, as evidenced by your very presence on your boards, and by PN Mayor Jono Naylor’s and Manawatu Standard Chief Reporter Lee Matthews’ emotive outbursts, it’s got your attention. And it will continue to get your attention until it’s over. Which means its aims will get your undivided attention – and that’s what matters.

30. A.J says:

Mate “…shaky little moral high horses…”
    You still don’t get the point. The victims family are being dragged through all of this because of a stupid stunt. Don’t you think they know about the “dubious scientific methods” or the possible lack of detailed procedures in the case?

Get off your little pony and put yourself in the victims families shoes.
    These people are suffering and trying to move on all because of something that was no fault of their own. By doing this stunt you are pretty much making them suffer for someone else’s actions or lack of action.

Good on ya mate. That is totally responsible. Just hope nothing like this happens you any of your loved ones…or perhaps someone just like you will drag it up over and over again.

31. Ralph says:

AJ – the link I gave Carters might help you out a bit.

32. Mark (2) says:

So you’ve cancelled the Lundy 500 now eh? I kinda get the feeling someone at Salient is going to be rushing around now trying to come up with some decent argument for the upcoming issue on the NZ justice system that isn’t just cut and pasting from internet blogs or the North and South article.

33. sam says:

“[…] or the North and South article.”

wat?

34. Mark (2) says:

The N&S article on Lundy.

35. sam says:

I know about the article, just doubt that much copying and pasting will be going on.

36. diddums says:

the editor and the ‘brilliant’ person that came up with this idea are total fucktards. The vic students should call for thier jobs be brought up for review.

37. MC Chris says:

hey diddums i heard you were four days late on this one

38. MC Chris says:

*posts angry response on salient website at 4am*

1