The Great Barrier Brief

Candidates’ forum on Wednesday
Nominees for the five vacant positions on the VUWSA Exec will have a chance to address students at a special candidates’ forum next Wednesday.

Candidates for the positions of Vice President (Administration), International Officer, Environment Officer, Women’s Rights Officer and Activities Officer will speak of their qualities and desire for election.

The by-election for the five positions will be held between July 27 and 29.

Vic runs up second at debate tournie
Should second place, as part of good sportsmanship, be acceptable at Victoria University?

A team from Victoria University has finished in second place at the recent Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships in Melbourne.

The team of Polly Higbee, Stephen Whittington and Ella Edginton lost the Grand Final in an agonising 5–4 split decision to hosts, Monash University.

Higbee, the current President of Victoria’s Debating Society, said while the team was gutted to lose, Monash was always going to be difficult to beat.

The Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships is the second largest university debating championship in the world, and brings nearly 100 teams each year from Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

Victoria has won the tournament three times (1980, 1982 and 1998) and twice finished as runner-up (2007 and 2009).

Fuck me, there’s a lot of you.

Figures released by the Ministry of Education have shown the number of equivalent full-time students increased from April 2008 to April 2009 by 6.2%.
The increase—more than 10,000 equivalent full-time students—was strongest among the ‘baby blip’ generation of 18-19 year-olds. By contrast, enrolments by people aged 40 years or over fell by 4.7%.

Other domestic student groups to significantly increase their numbers included Pasifika men (14%) Pasifika women (12%), Māori and Asian men (10%), and Māori and Asian women, (6%). International enrolments also increased by almost 10%.

Another recent Ministry of Education report Ebbs and flows: Participation in post-compulsory education over the economic cycle, advises that tertiary institutions are likely to come under further enrolment pressure as the recession continues.

U-N-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y
Cambridge, Harvard and Yale are among the top universities found to have embarrassing spelling mistakes on their websites.

Thirteen out of 20 world-class university websites analysed by Australian spelling software Spellr.us were found to have misspelled the word ‘university’. The survey also found that 14 percent of university web pages contain at least one genuine spelling error, with some of the most prestigious American universities among the worst offenders.

The first 99 pages of Victoria Univeristy’s website contained nine likely, 278 possible & 512 unlikely spelling errors.
Salient’s website contained four likely, 471 possible & 996 unlikely spelling errors.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.