$20,000 gets you a lot if you’re VUWSA

First there was a pimpin’ van. Pimpin’ website coming soon

The long-awaited brand spanking new VUWSA website is set to be launched in two weeks time.

The new VUWSA website, designed and built by Catch Design, was meant to be launched prior to this year’s Orientation.

When asked by Salient why the website’s launch has been delayed by more than five months, President Jasmine Freemantle responded bluntly.

“VUWSA’s current website has been functioning all year,” she said.

“VUWSA has worked hard to bring students the best website possible. This has meant completely rewriting all website content which has taken longer than originally expected.”

Director of Catch Design Hamish Stevenson said the reason for the delays was because they had not received any content for the website.

“From our understanding, the person who was taking complete control of managing all the content was Jasmine.”

When Salient asked Freemantle who was responsible for organising content for the website she said that “a number of VUWSA personnel have contributed to the new website.”

The website rebuild has come with a $20,000 price tag, according to figures in VUWSA’s 2009 budget.

Students have already picked up the tab for the website that has been ready to go live since the start of the academic year.

“We feel gutted for the students that it’s now well over half way through the year, and what was a site that was originally due to be launched prior to Orientation 2009 still hasn’t been launched,” Stevenson said.

Stevenson told Salient that there have been mem­bers of VUWSA staff who have worked and communicated with Catch Design in a “very professional way”.

“They have done a very good job to keep this process moving.”

However, delays to the launch of the website would be “no skin off [Catch’s] nose,” Stevenson said.

“It’s completely their perorgative if they wanted to wait and drag the ball and chain,” he said.

It is understood that clubs were expecting to be able to post information and notices on the new website.

Stevenson said that this information has been ready to go since the intended launch date.

Freemantle did not address Salient’s questions about when clubs’ information would be available for access by students on the website.

VUWSA’s recently appointed Association Manager Mark Maguire will be responsible for the management of the VUWSA website.

Editor for 2010, politics nerd, panda fan and three-time award-winning student journalist.

1. Chris says:

The new association manager is the same clown who is the returning officer??!!!

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough